The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 08:23pm
TODO: creative title here

Catch and Carry

Baseball field has a well-marked chalk dead-ball line in left field, extending from the end of the 3rd-base dugout fence to the outfield fence.

Batter hits a towering fly ball to foul territory in left.
F8, running at full speed:
a) catches the ball over live-ball territory with one foot touching in live-ball territory and the other foot in the air. The airborne foot then lands in dead-ball territory.
b) catches the ball over dead-ball territory with one foot touching in live-ball territory and the other foot in the air. The airborne foot then lands in dead-ball territory.
c) dives from live ball territory, catches the ball over live-ball territory while airborne, then lands in dead-ball territory.
D) dives from live ball territory, catches the ball over dead-ball territory while airborne, then lands in dead-ball territory.

Whatcha got?
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Baseball field has a well-marked chalk dead-ball line in left field, extending from the end of the 3rd-base dugout fence to the outfield fence.

a) catches the ball over live-ball territory with one foot touching in live-ball territory and the other foot in the air. The airborne foot then lands in dead-ball territory.
b) catches the ball over dead-ball territory with one foot touching in live-ball territory and the other foot in the air. The airborne foot then lands in dead-ball territory.
c) dives from live ball territory, catches the ball over live-ball territory while airborne, then lands in dead-ball territory.
D) dives from live ball territory, catches the ball over dead-ball territory while airborne, then lands in dead-ball territory.

Whatcha got?
An out. Then:

OBR:

If he remains on his feet the ball is live and he can throw from there. If he falls after making the catch it's a dead ball and a one base award.

NCAA:

If he remains on his feet the ball is live and he can throw form there unless a ground rule says he has to return to LBT before throwing. If he falls after making the catch it's a dead ball and a one base award.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

A & B I have an out.

In C & D I have a dead Ball.

In Fed a player must have at least one foot touching live territory.

In OBR and NCAA, as Rich says.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
A & B I have an out.

In C & D I have a dead Ball.

In Fed a player must have at least one foot touching live territory.

In OBR and NCAA, as Rich says.
In C and D the ball was caught before the player touched dead ball territory ("while airborne"). That's an out every day everywhere.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:22pm.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In C and D the ball was caught before the player touched dead ball territory ("while airborne"). That's an out every day everywhere.
Dah me!!! I agree, except when the brain freezes and the fingers do do whatever they want.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
An out. Then:

OBR:

If he remains on his feet the ball is live and he can throw from there. If he falls after making the catch it's a dead ball and a one base award.

NCAA:

If he remains on his feet the ball is live and he can throw form there unless a ground rule says he has to return to LBT before throwing. If he falls after making the catch it's a dead ball and a one base award.
FED:

Ball is dead and one base award. (Assuming, since fielder is running at full speed, that he gets entirely into DBT.)
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Another Fed nugget!

I know this is not part of the OP but:
If you think he intentionally carried the ball into dead ball territory, it would be a two base award.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Whatcha got?
A slow F7?
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
A slow F7?
BwaahhhhH!!!!!!!

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 10:36am

Of course I meant F7.

As it turned out, this play happened in a FED game with 2 outs in the top of the 7th, with the visiting team down 2 runs and runners on 1st and 2nd.

Got myself a whole slew of "worst umpire in the world" awards when I called the out.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 02:26pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

As it turned out, this play happened in a FED game with 2 outs in the top of the 7th, with the visiting team down 2 runs and runners on 1st and 2nd.
Ummmm, which play happened? You posed four different scenarios; they couldn't have all happened at once!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 03:48pm

D) is what actually happened... it just got me thinking about what would happen if the situation was slightly different. So I started the thread about it to spark a conversation.