The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Straddling the foul line

Playoff time. Moving to 3-man and 4-man crews. There was a discussion amongst a few of us in our association as to whether it is an acceptable mechanic for the U1 or U3, when on the line and a runner on their respective base, to straddle the foul line. The main arguments for were to provide a slightly better angle for either a check-swing or pick-off throw to the base. The main arguments against were that you should just never straddle the line.

Some were certain they've seen this done at higher levels of ball (i.e. minors and MLB). Being that this is FED ball we're talking about, is this an acceptable mechanic? If so, under what conditions?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
Playoff time. Moving to 3-man and 4-man crews. There was a discussion amongst a few of us in our association as to whether it is an acceptable mechanic for the U1 or U3, when on the line and a runner on their respective base, to straddle the foul line. The main arguments for were to provide a slightly better angle for either a check-swing or pick-off throw to the base. The main arguments against were that you should just never straddle the line.

Some were certain they've seen this done at higher levels of ball (i.e. minors and MLB). Being that this is FED ball we're talking about, is this an acceptable mechanic? If so, under what conditions?
U3, R3, LHB - check swing. I also go there with RHB if R3 is blocking me. There's other stuff you might miss.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I think we are told to stay in foul ground to avoid interfering with a fair ball in play. I watched a NCAA 3 man crew this year and U3 stood in fair ground. If you are quick enough to get out of the way of a batted ball, I see no reason why you couldn't straddle the line.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 05:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

I honestly see no benefit for U1 to straddle. Does it really buy you that much of a better look at a checked swing? I seriously doubt it. And you could actually make it harder to see a tag on a pickoff when the runner dives to the back side of the bag, since the runner will screen your view of the tag. Most pro U1s I've seen actually set up a little bit off the line, further into foul territory.

As for U3, I can see where he may want to set up straddling or even into fair territory just slightly. I personally wouldn't do it. I can usually see around a runner at third for the check swing, and take the quick step to see the pickoff at third.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 06:02am
Official & ***** Member

Our state allows it for U3 only. Personally, I find it depends on the size of R3, and how close to the bag F5 is playing.

Regardless, I want to be in position to see the batter and be able to officiate a pickoff, or snap throw to third.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

I stay and teach to stay in foul. At this level R3 should be leading off in foul territory so he won't block your view.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

I personnaly have learned that in either position, start in foul territory. Just like a fielder starts his positioning at a stationary spot, then take one or two small steps towards the batter as the pitcher begins their delivery, in anticipation of a play. You can then read and react at the same time as your body has begun it's initial momentum into the field.

That is just "Bullcrap' about whether you can see a check swing or pickoff by staddling the line. If you put 10 umpires in a room to discuss starting positions and mechanics, you will get 15 opinions about what is right or wrong. Guaranteed

Just like any recommended positioning for officiating, it is a suggested "Starting Point", that with anticipation, it is easier for you to get to a spot that gives you the best view of a play, to have the ability to "Make the Right Call". Some officials get into a spot, sink their shoes into the ground and just turn like that dish on the dinning room table. We called it a "Lazy Suzan", but it fits the situation.

Anticipate , read and react, come to a set position, digest what you have seen and "Make The Call".

Just My Opinion.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

When working 3B with R3 I always take a step into fair territory. The runner taking his lead in foul territory blocks my view of the batter from the usual D position.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

I think it's better to be just slightly (but completely) in foul territory for two reasons:

1) It's less likely that you will be struck by a fair ball - although still possible. (i.e. a hot grounder goes directly over the bag. Fair ball! It could go into foul territory and strike the umpire it is will still be a fair/live ball.)

2) More importantly, because he is in foul territory, the umpire can immediately start focusing on the ball, and whether it's fair or foul, rather than being concerned with moving.

Most umpires that I see have their right foot within a few inches of the foul line.

In my opinion, the necessity to get a good view of a batter's check swing is very low on the totem pole. Regardless of your view, just call what you see and if you didn't get a good look, just extend your arms and say, "No!". Simple!
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Good info, gents, and will take these points back to my association. Not sure where the line-straddling momentum came from - likely from the U3 and then got liberally transferred to U1.

I've always stayed about a step foul when there is a runner being held on first. The only time I've ventured near or on the line is the R3 situation if my view is being blocked, usually depending on the size of R3.

Thanks again.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post

In my opinion, the necessity to get a good view of a batter's check swing is very low on the totem pole. Regardless of your view, just call what you see and if you didn't get a good look, just extend your arms and say, "No!". Simple!
There are other things to consider. I want to see the batter when he hits the ball. I want to know where the ball is going. I have never had a problem standing in Fair territory.

Last year I had a sharply hit ball to F5. R3 was dead meat and F5 immediately put a tag on him. I pointed fair and then signaled the out as F5 completed the throw to F3 for the DP. I thought it looked sharp (on my part) because I was exactly where I needed to be.

I agree I could have seen this from foul territory but I don't want to miss the first 30 or 40 feet the ball travels because I am blocked by R3.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I've never heard taught to be in fair at first base.
Professional baseball used to instruct to be in fair territory with a runner on third, if the third base umpire is on the line. This was to see all things at the plate, foul or foul tip in the dirt, check swing, ball off the bat, etc. you will be three or four paces, minimum, behind the third baseman, so hot shots down the line shouldn't be too much of a problem. Though it could still happen.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 05:24pm
Is this a legal title?

Mechanics are personal. What the big shots do or teach is personal to them; just because something works for them doesn't mean it works for you.

As I tell everyone I hire, "The proper mechanic is whatever results in the proper call."

FWIW, I like straddle as U3, foul as U1. That may not work for you.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
Good info, gents, and will take these points back to my association. Not sure where the line-straddling momentum came from - likely from the U3 and then got liberally transferred to U1.

I've always stayed about a step foul when there is a runner being held on first. The only time I've ventured near or on the line is the R3 situation if my view is being blocked, usually depending on the size of R3.

Thanks again.
Straddling as U3 has worked for me just fine. There certainly is nothing wrong with it and it does give you a better view of the batter/plate area. If your group chooses not to do it, fine, but don't think it's "wrong" by any means.
Old Thu May 09, 2013, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Start in foul. There are times where R3 takes his lead in foul territory which completely screens you from the batter and you can't see the ball off the bat. This is when you inch into fair territory until you can see the batter.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in foul, but do what you have to do to see the batter.