The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 12:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I personnaly have learned that in either position, start in foul territory. Just like a fielder starts his positioning at a stationary spot, then take one or two small steps towards the batter as the pitcher begins their delivery, in anticipation of a play. You can then read and react at the same time as your body has begun it's initial momentum into the field.

That is just "Bullcrap' about whether you can see a check swing or pickoff by staddling the line. If you put 10 umpires in a room to discuss starting positions and mechanics, you will get 15 opinions about what is right or wrong. Guaranteed.

Just like any recommended positioning for officiating, it is a suggested "Starting Point", that with anticipation, it is easier for you to get to a spot that gives you the best view of a play, to have the ability to "Make the Right Call". Some officials get into a spot, sink their shoes into the ground and just turn like that dish on the dinning room table. We called it a "Lazy Suzan", but it fits the situation.

Anticipate , read and react, come to a set position, digest what you have seen and "Make The Call".

Just My Opinion.

Your analysis, that I have highlighted in RED, is absolutely correct both qualitatively but more importantly, quantitatively.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 01:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

As recent teaching in college football has taught me, I don't need to be standing directly on a line to see whether a ball has hit a line (or just to the left or right of it). I just need an unobstructed view.

All of these mechanics discussions end up devolving into personal preferences. For years, the AL umpires straddled the line and the NL umpires stood completely in foul ground. Sounds to me like either works just fine.