The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 27, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Runner dives over catcher on tag play

The home plate umpire (nor his partners) in the deciding game of the Cass-NW Whitfield region championship series (Class AAAA - Georgia) didn't know the rule. See the attached chart, newspaper article, photo sequence, and video replay linked below. NFHS rule 8-4-2d. In NFHS rules, it is always illegal to leap over a defensive player head first whether or not that player has the ball.

Rule 8-4-2d explained
http://www.inlandumpires.com/rules/p...s_nfhs_obr.pdf

Photo sequence of the tag.

Wilson's Window

Dalton newspaper story, NW head coach, and diving player celebrate the illegal play (with photo after tag and leap)

The Daily Citizen : Bruins leap for joy

The video replay
Cass Baseball: Safe call at plate in sixth vs. NW Whitfield (Highlight): Cass High School: PlayOn! Sports
Old Sat Apr 27, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure whether they didn't know the rule or not however, as per case play 8.4.2 Sit A. they certainly did NOT properly enforce it.

It's almost as though the case play was written for that video.
Old Sat Apr 27, 2013, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

One can hurdle a prone (lying flat on the ground) player.

Diving is not allowed.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I am not sure whether they didn't know the rule or not however, as per case play 8.4.2 Sit A. they certainly did NOT properly enforce it.

It's almost as though the case play was written for that video.
Judging by the PU's positioning, my guess is he didn't know the rule.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 06:33am
Official & ***** Member

OK, they missed it. Would have only been the second out.

According to the article, there was a HPB, an E-4, and a WP in that inning. The double by the next batter would have still tied the score.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
OK, they missed it. Would have only been the second out.

According to the article, there was a HPB, an E-4, and a WP in that inning. The double by the next batter would have still tied the score.
You're right. Now I feel better. (insert sarcasm) It didn't change the complexion of the inning at all. (insert more sarcasm here) Some were before this play and some were not. Pitching change occurred after this emotional play also. There was also a baserunner that collided with an infielder on a ground ball earlier in the inning that wasn't reported in the story. That call wasn't made either.

All of this was mild compared to the night before when the team was called back on to the field following a third out call in the tenth. One umpire overruled the other on a tag play at third after the team had cleared the field. The next batter drove in the winning runs to extend the series (best of 3), so that call didn't matter either? (even more sarcasm)
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Your right Dash that was the first I also noticed.

The first I think about after doing a big game is, did our team (the officials), do anything to effect the outcome of that game. In this case the incorrect call put the losing team ahead by one with the momentum clearly in their favor. That is a outcome changer.

"OK, they missed it. Would have only been the second out."

NOT ACCEPTABLE, for the importance of this game.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior View Post
You're right. Now I feel better. (insert sarcasm) It didn't change the complexion of the inning at all. (insert more sarcasm here) Some were before this play and some were not. Pitching change occurred after this emotional play also. There was also a baserunner that collided with an infielder on a ground ball earlier in the inning that wasn't reported in the story. That call wasn't made either.

All of this was mild compared to the night before when the team was called back on to the field following a third out call in the tenth. One umpire overruled the other on a tag play at third after the team had cleared the field. The next batter drove in the winning runs to extend the series (best of 3), so that call didn't matter either? (even more sarcasm)
I'm guessing that you team lost.

If true then continue-reading else hit-back-button

Would you have posted this if your team had won?
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 09:24am
Administrator

Devil's Advocate.

As a OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA registered baseball umpire I know the rule. BUT!!

I watched the play at least five times and each time I saw the Catcher take the throw while on his knees and spin to his left in an effort to make a sweep tag on the Runner. At the same time the Runner, in an effort to avoid being tagged on his foot attempted to slow down and his momemtum causes his upper body to keep moving forward while the Catcher's body continues to move under the his body and the Runner's body goes flying over the Catcher's body. It looked ugly but I do not believe the intent or spirit of the rule was violated.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I'm guessing that you team lost.

If true then continue-reading else hit-back-button

Would you have posted this if your team had won?
You're correct. I probably wouldn't have posted if my son's team had won. But it appears from this Dalton Citizen article (winning team's local newspaper) that the efforts of these two umpiring crews would have still been big news.

Devin Golden: All is set right by Kyle Brock's leap (VIDEO) Sports Columns
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
As a OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA registered baseball umpire I know the rule. BUT!!

I watched the play at least five times and each time I saw the Catcher take the throw while on his knees and spin to his left in an effort to make a sweep tag on the Runner. At the same time the Runner, in an effort to avoid being tagged on his foot attempted to slow down and his momemtum causes his upper body to keep moving forward while the Catcher's body continues to move under the his body and the Runner's body goes flying over the Catcher's body. It looked ugly but I do not believe the intent or spirit of the rule was violated.

MTD, Sr.
That's a level of Zaprudering that I just can't do. He dove headfirst over a fielder attempting a play, violating the letter, spirit, and intent of the rule IMO. Out.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I've got nothing. The throw takes the fielder in to the runner..
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
I've got nothing. The throw takes the fielder in to the runner..
That doesn't allow him to dive over the tag. He's out, by rule.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
I called obstruction on Saturday, I don't believe the fielder intended to violate the spirit of the rule, but I called it anyway. AND it was way ugly.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 05:24pm
In Time Out

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
That was about as blatant a case of diving over a player as I've ever seen.