The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore or Address?

Last night in a high school (FED) game the visiting team was batting with R1 and R2. As F1 came to the set position, the visiting coach (from the 3B box) said, "Step off! He's going!" F1 either didn't hear or ignored the coach's comment and play went on without incident. Should I have addressed this with the coach or just let it go?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
Last night in a high school (FED) game the visiting team was batting with R1 and R2. As F1 came to the set position, the visiting coach (from the 3B box) said, "Step off! He's going!" F1 either didn't hear or ignored the coach's comment and play went on without incident. Should I have addressed this with the coach or just let it go?
Addressed ... um ... WHAT?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What are you going to address? Are you 100% sure he was talking to the pitcher. He could have been telling his runner to "step off" the bag. Unless you are sure that the 3B coach was trying to get the pitcher to balk, I wouldn't go there. sometimes what is said on the field is a fine line for enforcing this rule however, make sure that line is clearly crossed before addressing.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:25pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
What are you going to address? Are you 100% sure he was talking to the pitcher. He could have been telling his runner to "step off" the bag.
Seriously? The pitcher is in the set, and you think one of the runners needs to be told to step off the bag? The third base coach yelled, "Step off! He's going!" That doesn't sound like an instruction to a runner to take a lead.

I personally don't think there's any gray area here. There's no other reason a third base coach would say this but to cause a balk. Heck, the example used in the rule of calling Time is less definitive in my mind; there could easily be a very legitimate reason for a base coach to yell Time, such as thinking there's a loose ball on the field. But "Step off! He's going!" leaves no wiggle room.

So I would argue that it needs to be addressed, but not necessarily with a lot of fanfare. Telling the coach between innings to knock off that crap should suffice.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Odd.

OK, fine, I'll play along. Let's assume he WAS trying to draw a balk, and walk through it. What's the penalty?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:44pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Well, Fed rule 3-3-1o addresses this, and calls for an immediate ejection in the Penalty section. Not sure I would go to that extreme, but that's what's in the book. As I mentioned above, a warning prior to the ejection should handle it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

You could alway restrict him to the bench. I'm sure that would send a very quick message. It is a lot better than an ejection.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:48pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findingtime View Post
You could alway restrict him to the bench. I'm sure that would send a very quick message. It is a lot better than an ejection.

Or you could follow the rules and dump him.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not say a word because it's obvious that the coach is talking to his runner. However, if F1 balked due to this statement (and in my judgement, that would be the cause of the balk) the coach is going to be seated (FED) or ejected (OBR).
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I would not say a word because it's obvious that the coach is talking to his runner. However, if F1 balked due to this statement (and in my judgement, that would be the cause of the balk) the coach is going to be seated (FED) or ejected (OBR).
I'm curious, how could he be speaking to his runner?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm curious, how could he be speaking to his runner?
I couldn't agree more. If you've been around baseball, don't get talked into the "I was talking to my runner" BS.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

And if you been around officiating long enough, you don't make calls based upon assumptions.

Manny, I wasn't at the game so I couldn't even begin to understand who the heck he was talking to.

All I said was, "Unless you are sure that the 3B coach was trying to get the pitcher to balk, I wouldn't go there. Sometimes what is said on the field is a fine line for enforcing this rule however, make sure that line is clearly crossed before addressing."

Obviously he must have said it loud enough that you heard it along the eastern seaboard. Therefore you have every right to insert yourself into Umpire99's game. I don't officiate that way.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And if you been around officiating long enough, you don't make calls based upon assumptions.

Manny, I wasn't at the game so I couldn't even begin to understand who the heck he was talking to.

All I said was, "Unless you are sure that the 3B coach was trying to get the pitcher to balk, I wouldn't go there. Sometimes what is said on the field is a fine line for enforcing this rule however, make sure that line is clearly crossed before addressing."

Obviously he must have said it loud enough that you heard it along the eastern seaboard. Therefore you have every right to insert yourself into Umpire99's game. I don't officiate that way.
Or, we could go with umpire99's assessment, since he was there. From the OP, that assessment was clearly that the coach was trying to induce a balk.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, you do, especially with game management.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:18am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Obviously he must have said it loud enough that you heard it along the eastern seaboard. Therefore you have every right to insert yourself into Umpire99's game.
Ummmm, isn't that what he asked us to do by coming on this board and posing the question?

Umpire99 said:

Quote:
F1 either didn't hear or ignored the coach's comment and play went on without incident.
Sounds like he judged the comment was directed at F1. And I agree with his belief.