Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:38am
Stop staring at me swan.

2013 OBR Changes

Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

So they bought into and killed the 3rd to 1st move. What a bunch of jerks. So I guess everytime we have a bunch of no nothing announcers whining about a play, we are going to get a rule change!
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

1) It's not news that they were going to change the 3-1 move to a balk, and the change above is (reasponably) consistent with what I had seen.

2) What's the source for this, Johnny?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:23am
Stop staring at me swan.

Sorry about the formatting. This information is from a AAA umpire.

There's actually more about the Wild Card formatting on the bottom but I cut it off due to the character limits on the forum. And I think that most of us don't care about what they do w/ the MLB Wild Card stuff.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
So they bought into and killed the 3rd to 1st move. What a bunch of jerks. So I guess everytime we have a bunch of no nothing announcers whining about a play, we are going to get a rule change!
Oz the owners voted on this.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
Oz the owners voted on this.
Still because people whined who don't really understand the game.

Rita
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite sure I understand what, if anything changed with the infield fly!

Oz, your missing the point here. Instead of the games taking 4 hours, now without the 3-1 move they will last 3 Hrs and 59 minutes and 15 sec. Get with the program. The sportswriters can now concentrate on more important questions like, "Which actress are you dating this week?".
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Not quite sure I understand what, if anything changed with the infield fly!
This part is new: If interference is called during an infield fly, the ball remains alive until it is determined whether the ball is fair or foul. If fair, both the runner who interfered with the fielder and the batter are out. If foul, even if caught, the runner is out and the batter returns to bat.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
Thank you Rita. It was 2 sports announcers that started the ball rolling with their whining for over 1/2 hour on the air.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

"It is possiblea balk if, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and does not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal. However, if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher, while in contact with the rubber, steps toward third and then immediately and in practically the same motion “wheels” and throws to first base, it is obviously an attempt to deceive the runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be called a balk. Of course, if the pitcher steps off the rubber and then makes such a move, it is not a balk. It is legal for a pitcher to feint a throw to second base."

I am not sure I see what the change is. It has been interpreted that if you step to 3b and do not disengage before turning and stepping to 1b that is a balk, but if you come off the rubber as you step to 3b and then turn and step and throw to 1b, that is not a balk, and if you wheel without stepping that is a balk. What, as worded, is a change?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 07:42pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
"It is possiblea balk if, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and does not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal. However, if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher, while in contact with the rubber, steps toward third and then immediately and in practically the same motion “wheels” and throws to first base, it is obviously an attempt to deceive the runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be called a balk. Of course, if the pitcher steps off the rubber and then makes such a move, it is not a balk. It is legal for a pitcher to feint a throw to second base."

I am not sure I see what the change is. It has been interpreted that if you step to 3b and do not disengage before turning and stepping to 1b that is a balk, but if you come off the rubber as you step to 3b and then turn and step and throw to 1b, that is not a balk, and if you wheel without stepping that is a balk. What, as worded, is a change?

Let me see if I can get the attachment on here w/ the "tracked changes." I think if we can see the actual .pdf, it will make more sense.

I think I fixed it. See OP.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post

You can't fake a throw to third while in contact with the rubber. Simple.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
Somewhere I saw a link to an interview with Joe Torre where he said the managers wanted it killed.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:11am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Somewhere I saw a link to an interview with Joe Torre where he said the managers wanted it killed.
Doesn't the MLBPU also have okay all rule changes?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Doesn't the MLBPU also have okay all rule changes?
Yes (with, I think, a few exceptions to the word "all"), but if they don't for a year, then it can get put in anyway.