The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2013 OBR Changes (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94073-2013-obr-changes.html)

johnnyg08 Sun Feb 17, 2013 01:38am

2013 OBR Changes

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3FgZdRrpdjNMUtWRzJEQUM1MGM/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

ozzy6900 Sun Feb 17, 2013 06:51am

So they bought into and killed the 3rd to 1st move. What a bunch of jerks. So I guess everytime we have a bunch of no nothing announcers whining about a play, we are going to get a rule change!

bob jenkins Sun Feb 17, 2013 08:31am

1) It's not news that they were going to change the 3-1 move to a balk, and the change above is (reasponably) consistent with what I had seen.

2) What's the source for this, Johnny?

johnnyg08 Sun Feb 17, 2013 09:23am

Sorry about the formatting. This information is from a AAA umpire.

There's actually more about the Wild Card formatting on the bottom but I cut it off due to the character limits on the forum. And I think that most of us don't care about what they do w/ the MLB Wild Card stuff.

UMP45 Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 879963)
So they bought into and killed the 3rd to 1st move. What a bunch of jerks. So I guess everytime we have a bunch of no nothing announcers whining about a play, we are going to get a rule change!

Oz the owners voted on this.

Rita C Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP45 (Post 879981)
Oz the owners voted on this.

Still because people whined who don't really understand the game.

Rita

jicecone Sun Feb 17, 2013 01:14pm

Not quite sure I understand what, if anything changed with the infield fly!

Oz, your missing the point here. Instead of the games taking 4 hours, now without the 3-1 move they will last 3 Hrs and 59 minutes and 15 sec. Get with the program. The sportswriters can now concentrate on more important questions like, "Which actress are you dating this week?":).

bob jenkins Sun Feb 17, 2013 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 880001)
Not quite sure I understand what, if anything changed with the infield fly!

This part is new: If interference is called during an infield fly, the ball remains alive until it is determined whether the ball is fair or foul. If fair, both the runner who interfered with the fielder and the batter are out. If foul, even if caught, the runner is out and the batter returns to bat.

ozzy6900 Sun Feb 17, 2013 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 879998)

Rita

Thank you Rita. It was 2 sports announcers that started the ball rolling with their whining for over 1/2 hour on the air.

DG Sun Feb 17, 2013 07:00pm

"It is possiblea balk if, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and does not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal. However, if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher, while in contact with the rubber, steps toward third and then immediately and in practically the same motion “wheels” and throws to first base, it is obviously an attempt to deceive the runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be called a balk. Of course, if the pitcher steps off the rubber and then makes such a move, it is not a balk. It is legal for a pitcher to feint a throw to second base."

I am not sure I see what the change is. It has been interpreted that if you step to 3b and do not disengage before turning and stepping to 1b that is a balk, but if you come off the rubber as you step to 3b and then turn and step and throw to 1b, that is not a balk, and if you wheel without stepping that is a balk. What, as worded, is a change?

johnnyg08 Sun Feb 17, 2013 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 880048)
"It is possiblea balk if, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and does not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal. However, if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher, while in contact with the rubber, steps toward third and then immediately and in practically the same motion “wheels” and throws to first base, it is obviously an attempt to deceive the runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be called a balk. Of course, if the pitcher steps off the rubber and then makes such a move, it is not a balk. It is legal for a pitcher to feint a throw to second base."

I am not sure I see what the change is. It has been interpreted that if you step to 3b and do not disengage before turning and stepping to 1b that is a balk, but if you come off the rubber as you step to 3b and then turn and step and throw to 1b, that is not a balk, and if you wheel without stepping that is a balk. What, as worded, is a change?

Let me see if I can get the attachment on here w/ the "tracked changes." I think if we can see the actual .pdf, it will make more sense.

I think I fixed it. See OP.

UMP45 Sun Feb 17, 2013 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 880048)

You can't fake a throw to third while in contact with the rubber. Simple.

Rich Ives Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 879998)

Rita

Somewhere I saw a link to an interview with Joe Torre where he said the managers wanted it killed.

Steven Tyler Mon Feb 18, 2013 03:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 880110)
Somewhere I saw a link to an interview with Joe Torre where he said the managers wanted it killed.

Doesn't the MLBPU also have okay all rule changes?

bob jenkins Mon Feb 18, 2013 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 880152)
Doesn't the MLBPU also have okay all rule changes?

Yes (with, I think, a few exceptions to the word "all"), but if they don't for a year, then it can get put in anyway.