The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 119
Plate coat recommendations

Need to buy a black plate coat. who makes the best? i'm tall and thin, 42L. looking for more of a fitted/tapered look - alphonso marquez look. hate them when they look loose and baggy.

price isn't an issue - not worth saving $50 bucks to look like heck.

who makes the mlb plate coats?

thanks,

Last edited by newump; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:35am. Reason: info
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,107
Honigs makes the MLB plate coats.

I ordered one in early December when they were slightly discounted and grouped in a pre-sale for quicker shipping by February, or something like that. They typically take much longer.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:13pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Honigs makes the MLB plate coats.

I ordered one in early December when they were slightly discounted and grouped in a pre-sale for quicker shipping by February, or something like that. They typically take much longer.
Actually Hardwick's makes the coats, Honigs sells them. That's the only place you can get a plate coat.

Honigs also the MLB plate coats to the MLB umpires through Hardwicks
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 280
It looks like these are a special order item from Honigs... 12 week timeframe for delivery.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:32am
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,974
Yep, make sure you get the right size. No returns.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,458
I'm tall and thin, also, and have had to had all my plate coat taken in, for that form fit. Just go to a trusted tailor, with your biggest chest protector, and make sure it fits in your stance.

And, make sure that top button is really secure.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:00am
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Yep, make sure you get the right size. No returns.
Get your measurements taken, and send them to Honigs. Hopefully, having a 'blueprint" will get you the fit you desire.
__________________
I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: W. Pa
Posts: 216
Fecheimer

know this is going back a ways....but doesnt fecheimer make plate coats anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_ump View Post
know this is going back a ways....but doesnt fecheimer make plate coats anymore?
Here's a link:

Fechheimer Plate Coat
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:13am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Here's a link:

Fechheimer Plate Coat
I had the worst purchasing experience with BTL. Never again.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I had the worst purchasing experience with BTL. Never again.
I second that!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I had the worst purchasing experience with BTL. Never again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
I second that!
I'm surprised by this. Although I haven't used them in some time, I've always had very good experiences... even all the way back when they were called Diamonds & Hoops.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:37am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
We better be careful talking about BTL.

He may put our handles up on his Hall of Shame on his website OR send out emails to all officials in the state complaining about how unfair everything is.

That is, before he takes his ball and moves to Missouri.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rockville,MD
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We better be careful talking about BTL.

He may put our handles up on his Hall of Shame on his website OR send out emails to all officials in the state complaining about how unfair everything is.

That is, before he takes his ball and moves to Missouri.
I know this thread is older than the dinosaurs, but does anyone make plate coats anymore? I've been looking online, and all that I've found are some links to Ebay listings that say that the plate coat in question is either the wrong size, sold, or both. The MLB umpires look cool wearing plate coats, but is there any hope for a mere mortal amateur umpire to buy one?

For the record, I wear a size large shirt (44 if measuring by chest size).
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I know this thread is older than the dinosaurs, but does anyone make plate coats anymore? I've been looking online, and all that I've found are some links to Ebay listings that say that the plate coat in question is either the wrong size, sold, or both. The MLB umpires look cool wearing plate coats, but is there any hope for a mere mortal amateur umpire to buy one?

For the record, I wear a size large shirt (44 if measuring by chest size).
Step 1 would be making sure your state association approves of them. I doubt you'll be wanting to wear one during summer ball, if you do any of that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plate Coat dfwump Baseball 36 Wed Dec 08, 2010 05:53pm
looking for a plate coat newump Baseball 3 Sat Feb 24, 2007 03:20pm
Under your plate coat pingswinger Baseball 64 Tue Feb 06, 2007 06:50am
Plate coat jschale Baseball 3 Tue Feb 21, 2006 05:23am
Plate coat cowbyfan1 Baseball 1 Thu Jun 09, 2005 02:48pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1