The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Plate coat recommendations (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/93570-plate-coat-recommendations.html)

newump Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33am

Plate coat recommendations

Need to buy a black plate coat. who makes the best? i'm tall and thin, 42L. looking for more of a fitted/tapered look - alphonso marquez look. hate them when they look loose and baggy.

price isn't an issue - not worth saving $50 bucks to look like heck.

who makes the mlb plate coats?

thanks,

briancurtin Fri Jan 18, 2013 01:38am

Honigs makes the MLB plate coats.

I ordered one in early December when they were slightly discounted and grouped in a pre-sale for quicker shipping by February, or something like that. They typically take much longer.

johnnyg08 Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 872789)
Honigs makes the MLB plate coats.

I ordered one in early December when they were slightly discounted and grouped in a pre-sale for quicker shipping by February, or something like that. They typically take much longer.

Actually Hardwick's makes the coats, Honigs sells them. That's the only place you can get a plate coat.

Honigs also the MLB plate coats to the MLB umpires through Hardwicks

BEAREF Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21am

It looks like these are a special order item from Honigs... 12 week timeframe for delivery.

johnnyg08 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32am

Yep, make sure you get the right size. No returns.

kylejt Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:50pm

I'm tall and thin, also, and have had to had all my plate coat taken in, for that form fit. Just go to a trusted tailor, with your biggest chest protector, and make sure it fits in your stance.

And, make sure that top button is really secure.

Steven Tyler Tue Jan 22, 2013 05:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 873413)
Yep, make sure you get the right size. No returns.

Get your measurements taken, and send them to Honigs. Hopefully, having a 'blueprint" will get you the fit you desire.

piaa_ump Thu Jan 24, 2013 04:02pm

Fecheimer

know this is going back a ways....but doesnt fecheimer make plate coats anymore?

nopachunts Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by piaa_ump (Post 874207)
know this is going back a ways....but doesnt fecheimer make plate coats anymore?

Here's a link:

Fechheimer Plate Coat

Rich Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 874348)
Here's a link:

Fechheimer Plate Coat

I had the worst purchasing experience with BTL. Never again.

mrm21711 Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 874369)

I second that!

bbsbvb83 Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 874369)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 877279)
I second that!

I'm surprised by this. Although I haven't used them in some time, I've always had very good experiences... even all the way back when they were called Diamonds & Hoops.

Rich Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37am

We better be careful talking about BTL.

He may put our handles up on his Hall of Shame on his website OR send out emails to all officials in the state complaining about how unfair everything is.

That is, before he takes his ball and moves to Missouri. :rolleyes:

ilyazhito Sun May 20, 2018 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 877367)
We better be careful talking about BTL.

He may put our handles up on his Hall of Shame on his website OR send out emails to all officials in the state complaining about how unfair everything is.

That is, before he takes his ball and moves to Missouri. :rolleyes:

I know this thread is older than the dinosaurs, but does anyone make plate coats anymore? I've been looking online, and all that I've found are some links to Ebay listings that say that the plate coat in question is either the wrong size, sold, or both. The MLB umpires look cool wearing plate coats, but is there any hope for a mere mortal amateur umpire to buy one?

For the record, I wear a size large shirt (44 if measuring by chest size).

SC Official Sun May 20, 2018 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1021767)
I know this thread is older than the dinosaurs, but does anyone make plate coats anymore? I've been looking online, and all that I've found are some links to Ebay listings that say that the plate coat in question is either the wrong size, sold, or both. The MLB umpires look cool wearing plate coats, but is there any hope for a mere mortal amateur umpire to buy one?

For the record, I wear a size large shirt (44 if measuring by chest size).

Step 1 would be making sure your state association approves of them. I doubt you'll be wanting to wear one during summer ball, if you do any of that.