The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Kari Wurher is still alive and that's all that matters.
I preferred Marisol.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
From the 2013-14 NFHS Umpires Manual:

"Suit your simultaneous verbal call to the emphasis of the physical call and phrase it for, and direct it to, the offensive player. You could say, "He's out!" But if you say, "You're out!" you're getting to the principal one who must be convinced."
I agree that this is phrased wrong. But sometimes the situation demands pointing the call to the specific player; i.e., when two players are on the same base and both players are tagged.

The proper mechanic is: "42: You're out. Time!" This way, you protect the player who owns the base.

I once followed that practice. #42 said: "Why?" I said: "I don't discuss calls with JV players, son." Later in the half-inning I realized the bases had been loaded with a ground ball to the pitcher who had chased R3 back to third. #42 had been forced to third and owned the base.

My point is, if you're asleep, not even mechanics properly used can save your behind.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:34am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
They might wonder why one of their "consultants" didn't know who wrote The Medium is the Massage...
Must be the reality TV version...
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:39am
Veteran College Umpire

Here's my list. I've handed it out at clinics for years. Feel free -

BASEBALL THOUGHTS
1. Head out to home plate and the mound with head up and with determination.
2. If a catcher asks for help on a check swing, NEVER refuse.
3. When a relief pitcher comes in and is warming up, and you are the base umpire, walk behind first base to see where that free leg and foot are in relation to the plane of the rubber. It won't change when you're in the middle of the infield and you'll know when he does something differently.
4. If the team in the first base dugout is giving you static after a play, stand on the third base line between innings for a while.
5. If you are the base umpire, don't talk much to any players or coaches, even when a relief pitcher is warming up, unless you have something to say relative to the game.
6. Record all changes on your lineup card, even in a blowout.
7. Count warm-up pitches and don't allow excess ones unless the situation merits it.
8. Notice which foot a pitcher steps off the rubber with when nobody is on base - chances are he'll do it with the same foot when runners are on.
9. Clean your shoes. Polish them, too.
10. Get clean matching ball bags and pants that fit.
11. Buy a new fitted hat at least every two years. Shirts, too. Look the part.
12. Make frequent eye contact with your partner, especially when runners are on base, and acknowledge hand signs.
13. Someone else keep an indicator and use it with runners on base.
14. As the plate umpire, flash the count regularly with runners on base.
15. Ask other umpires why they do the things they do, and ask for critique of your own work from umpires you respect.
16. Discuss odd plays every chance you get, and dig for the answers in as many sources as you can - don't quit looking for an answer just because you find one.
17. Never stop learning how to umpire. Don't be satisfied with your performance.
18. Take a lawn chair and a carpet square in your trunk, and a water jug will save your life.
19. Take the appropriate rulebook to the game site, but leave it in the car or locker room.
20. Always volunteer to do the plate when you work with someone for the first time - you have more control there.
21. Join some professional organizations. Attend their meetings and read their literature.
22. Go to a school or camp. More than once. Learn one thing at each camp, and work on it until you’re comfortable with it.
23. In the last inning, if the catchers have been working hard, tell them, “You’ve done a nice job today”. They appreciate the compliment. Don’t carry on a running conversation throughout the game.
24. Don’t be afraid to admit you missed a pitch. We all miss pitches.
25. Work hard to keep people IN the game. Be a good listener.
26. Don’t get caught up in the game – you have a job to do that does not involve emotion. Coaches argue – we don’t.
27. When a hitter steps up to the plate, look at his hands. If his fingers extend off the end of the knob, odds are you’ll have a better chance of knowing if that “up and in” pitch hit the knob of the bat or his hand. If it hit the hand, he’ll be in pain. If his fingers extend off the knob it can’t hit the knob.
28. If your partner gets in an argument with a coach, keep other coaches and players away from him, and be close enough to your partner to hear what’s being said. If your partner ejects someone, he’s done talking – get in between him and the ejected party and get the ejected party off the field (“You have to leave…You gotta go….You’re done, you have to leave”….etc.).
29. Consider the source. When a player or coach has “words” with you, consider who it is and what the situation is before you react to them. Some coaches are very animated all the time, and some are very animated only when they are really upset. Same for players.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Here's my list. I've handed it out at clinics for years. Feel free -

BASEBALL THOUGHTS

3. When a relief pitcher comes in and is warming up, and you are the base umpire, walk behind first base to see where that free leg and foot are in relation to the plane of the rubber. It won't change when you're in the middle of the infield and you'll know when he does something differently.
A lot of good ideas however, when a relief pitcher comes in, I think the game is better served by having the BU in the infield and assisting with the number of warm-up pitches as your partner is adjusting the lineup cards. Not that there is anything wrong with your idea, however, I have never ever, in close to 30 years had to call that type of violation.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:24am
Veteran College Umpire

I count the pitches as well - I don't have to be in any specific place on the field to do that.

JJ
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:55pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Kari Wurher is still alive and that's all that matters.
I'm pretty sure she is more like last year's Halloween candy, and past her prime.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:15pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Must be the reality TV version...
Your inexperience is showing. McLuhan's treatise likely sheds some insight on why you learned it the way you did.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:26pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
Gosh, Tee: I didn't know the National Federation had stopped publishing rule books. I must have missed their announcement. Uh, I guess I also missed the notice from the Giddeons International society.

And don't brag about your post to anybody at the NFHS. They might wonder why one of their "consultants" didn't know who wrote The Medium is the Massage, which I was teaching at the college level at three deifferent universities in the 60's and 70s. The author was Marshall McLuhan.

Amazing! You're back at your old stand. And I was telling everybody your were cured of this bad habit.
Yeah, Tee. It's a bad habit that's acceptable, though, if you're hawking a product. Come back then.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Sorry for straying from the thread, but...

From the 2013-14 NFHS Umpires Manual:

"Audible calls on non-swinging strikes should vary in intensity, tone and length depending on their importance in the game."

"For the foul call, turn your body towards foul territory, extend your arms over your head, and bring them down to waist level in the direction of foul territory. Yell, "Foul!" as emphatically as you gesture. If the call is crucial to the game or is just barely foul, yell, "Foul! Foul! Foul!"

"On a passed ball with a runner at third, a play at home is likely. Remove your mask quickly, if you think you have time. Set yourself at a right angle to the catcher's throw. This gives you a good angle on the play at home."

"One way to be sure the tagging player has retained possession of the ball is to ask to see it. Or you can tell the runner he's out if the tagger has the ball."

"When the ball is batted foul, call out in a loud voice "foul ball" and signal it foul by first putting both hands over your head and then motioning to foul territory."

"Be careful not to kick dirt onto the plate after you have just cleaned it."

"When you start cleaning the plate, face the spectators and the catcher's box. If your pants were to tear, only the infielders would see it."

"Suit your simultaneous verbal call to the emphasis of the physical call and phrase it for, and direct it to, the offensive player. You could say, "He's out!" But if you say, "You're out!" you're getting to the principal one who must be convinced."

"If the [safe call] demands more emphasis or if you want to show your appreciation of a good play, bring your arms in from the extended position, possibly crossing them in an x in front of you and re-extending them. You can repeat this several timed depending on the amount of emphasis you wish to give. Another way of emphasizing the call is to make a couple of quick side steps, either with the arms extended or while making repeated safe signs."

T, I am sure these didn't emanate from you, but they don't do much for FED's credibility, and they certainly detract from the other good stuff found throughout the manual.
Seriously? Love that don't kick dirt after you just cleaned advice and the one about splitting my pants. Is this crap really in the NFHS umpire manual? I have not looked at it in a long time.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I preferred Marisol.
Wow, I forgot her. I think you correct.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Seriously? Love that don't kick dirt after you just cleaned advice and the one about splitting my pants. Is this crap really in the NFHS umpire manual? I have not looked at it in a long time.
Word for word.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Wow, I forgot her. I think you correct.
Not sure. I just looked at some old pictures and Kari may have been the one. But Marisol was first.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

ôlô

Quote:
"And don't brag about your post to anybody at the NFHS. They might wonder why one of their "consultants" didn't know who wrote The Medium is the Massage, which I was teaching at the college level at three deifferent universities in the 60's and 70s. The author was Marshall McLuhan."
Carl, please slow down and re-read my post . . .

Quote:
"As a member of the NFHS publication committee:

"Printed media is dead.

"See Marshall McClune;

"The media is the message."
So I do know who Marshall McLuhan is . . . I just type poorly.

The NFHS PUBLISHES only one magazine these days. All other are on line.

Carl, think of glass houses . . . you criticize my spelling and you wrote (sic),

"deifferent" -- and of some "massage" -- before you go after me you should watch your own typing errors.

Darn Carl, I know you make a living writing, publishing and SELLING books . . . my entire work in this thread was COMPLAINING about the loss of published media.

T
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:44am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Your inexperience is showing. McLuhan's treatise likely sheds some insight on why you learned it the way you did.
I'm familiar with it. I was commenting wryly on Carl's typo in the post where he chastens Tee for his typo.