The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Here is what I do between downs (please add your comments, suggestions, and check-lists for umpire and the other positions):

Dead-ball officiate for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct. Always scan around the ball.
Secure ball and place at spot of forward progress or previous spot. I like to ask the centers before the game how they like the ball placed.
Signal down and distance with R, HL, and LJ.
Remind R when clock will start (snap or ready).
Move to position upon ready for play.
Count offense (in huddle if possible) and signal R.
When OL comes to LOS note proper numbering. Keep the 5 OL and related D players in field of vision. Keep the ball in view at all times prior to snap.
Check OL for shifts, false starts, snap infractions.
Check B for illegal signals intended to make A encroach or false start.

I would appreciate advice at this point. I learned on my own that its hard to watch 5 OL and 4 or 5 D players all at the same time. So at the snap I focus on the center and one of the guards. I try to pick-up the direction of the play from their initial blocks and then shift my attention to that area. Every now and then I'll observe one of the OT and the DE. When the play is developing I try to scan, focus, and react, repeating this process during the play and the dead ball period afterwards.

The mechanics manuals seem vague to me about what I should be looking at during the play. I am very interested in learning how I can improve my observation skills at the umpire position. How many players should I be observing at one time? What keys can I read to focus my attention at the proper place? When should I start moving when the flow of the play is going away from me? If the hole opens up right in front of me should I move sideways, step forward, or hold my ground? The more specific you can be the better.

Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wow! That's great! All our umpire does is reach in his pocket for another Snickers!
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I pretty much follow the same routine as you with maybe a few exceptions. When working Ump, I wear two down indicators. The extra one is to help me remember the previous spot. Little finger-left hash, middle finger-between the hashes, pointer finger-right hash. Also, I will stand over the ball, protecting it until the snapper approaches, and then I’ll hustle into position never turning my back on the offence. It’s at this time I remind myself “DON’T BLOW UNTIL I SEE THE BALL”. I’m hoping this little mechanic will delay what I know to be inevitable, my first inadvertent whistle. As far as where to go during the play, I’d like to hear from some of the more experienced officials on this. My only input and advice is just never back up. My only tumble while working Ump was when I did this trying to get out of the way during a run up the middle. This is not only embarrassing, but the dam grass stain cost me a pitcher of fermented grain at the post-game review.
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

As a former umpire (now referee) I heartly concur with your pre snap mechanics. As a matter of fact, that is a section in my pre game conference with my crew (we use the crew concept for varsity games).

As far as who to "watch" on running plays this is a two fold operation. First, you must key on the OL to determine if the play is a run or a pass. Which OL/DL combination you key on for any particular play is up to you (I would vary as much as possible). If the offense or defense complains that the other side is holding, clipping (I know clipping is allowed in FBZ) then I will "watch" that section. The second and, to me, the most important part is to percieve the point of attack and key on the blocks around the ball carrier from the inside out. On my crew we employ the diamond configuration on running plays: the U has action around runner from the inside, the wingman has action around the runner from the outside, BJ views action infront of the runner, and the R views action behind runner. The offside wingman cleans up behind the U. We are most conserned with fouls at the point of attack and are prone to "preventative officiate" fouls away from the ball (except unsprotsmanlike). As soon as the ball becomes dead hussle to the dead ball spot to prevent any "rumbles in the jungle". Players are less likely to commit "in the pile" infractions when officials are on top of them.

Good luck!
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
A wise and veteran official who worked many a year of D1 ball told me that as the play unfolds, scan the line of action concerning the OL. Wherever you see a double team, ignore it and go somewhere else. This does not take into account the possible high/low infraction you might see.

The one defensive player is already occupying 2 offensive players, therefore concentrate on the one on one action where an infraction is more likely to occur.
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the insights, especially: 1. Snickers are tasty and good for energy. Just don't wipe your hands on your knickers.
2. Never turn your back when going into position and during play.
3. Observe action from the inside out. This sounds so simple yet it is very important for complete coverage on each play.
4. Ignore doubleteams (except for chop blocks).
I have to admit that I like being an umpire. Its been my main position for the last 5 seasons (out of 9). But every year I learn something new. So every little bit of help is appreciated and I look forward to recruiting other officials into the umpire position (I just ask them to make sure their health insurance is up to date).
Old Sun Jul 07, 2002, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the insights, especially: 1. Snickers are tasty and good for energy. Just don't wipe your hands on your knickers.
2. Never turn your back when going into position and during play.
3. Observe action from the inside out. This sounds so simple yet it is very important for complete coverage on each play.
4. Ignore doubleteams (except for chop blocks).
I have to admit that I like being an umpire. Its been my main position for the last 5 seasons (out of 9). But every year I learn something new. So every little bit of help is appreciated and I look forward to recruiting other officials into the umpire position (I just ask them to make sure their health insurance is up to date).
Mike,

Really liked your checklist. I will be training a new umpire this year coming up from JV and the checklist makes a lot of sense.

Let me add what I expect from my umpire during a play.

1. Be on the LOS when you detect a pass play in order to confirm the ball crossed the line.
2. Be on the LOS in case of an illegal pass and throw a bean bag to mark the spot where the pass was thrown.

One attribute I look for in a umpire is being talkative but not too talkative. That is, talk to the players, let them know you are there and in the game.

One last important point, DO NOT signal a touchdown, ever.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Additional Thoughts

I like your checklist. Its really helps to get a routine where you go through it in your mind (and out loud if necessary) before each play.

A few things to add that I have picked up along the way:

- Hustle - a hustling Umpire is a awesome thing to behold. I'm told my hustle and being active is one of the major things that caused me to be noticed and to be chosen for NCAA Association.
- Don't move if the hole opens up and the runner is bearing down on you. Rather break down and prepare to defend yourself.
- Get to the pile quickly and make yourself known. You stop a lot of unnecessary stuff by getting there quickly.
- Before you take a step marking off a foul, know whether its going to be a 1st down or not. You are not in hurry. Work out a system with your HL so he knows how far you're going so he can tell you if its going to be a first.
- Use two whistles, a lanyard in your mouth until the snap (spit it out at the snap) and then a finger whistle to kill the play...if necessary.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Since last year was my first at Umpire, I learned that you cannot see everything. Most holding is done when the ball is coming in the one of the OL direction. My steps are Snap, Guards(They will tell you if it is a run or pass), than the tackles. If it is a Pass I move up to the LOS than wath for Illegal OL downfield. My R told me that I should just drop a bag when it looks like the QB may have went across the LOS. I do not make the determination of illegal forward pass unless it is obvious. I tend to let the linemen play only throwing a flag when it starts to get out of hand and that is only after I have spoken to them during the course of the game.

I thought that being on the wing was fun, but when I moved inside it was even better. It reminds me of when I played linebacker in highschool.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Bean bag

Hi Guys, do you really think, that dropping a bean bag is the correct mechanic if the QB is approaching the neutral zone.
Consider this play.
1. and 10 from A’s 10. QB scrambles and approaches the neutral zone, when he throws a forward pass, that is caught at A’s 20 and advanced for an apparent TD.
The umpire had dropped his bean bag and followed the play. After the score he runs back and sees his bean bag is laying beyond the neutral zone. Now he throws his flag for an illegal pass, while the offense is in position for the try.
Isn’t it better to throw the flag and if it is found behind the neutral zone, it can be waived by the Referee with explanation, that the passer did not cross the neutral zone.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Well, you better drop something (maybe your snickers bar) otherwise you really didn't see anything and therefore you don't have anything. We've discussed this in other posts. It can be a very hard call to get right. One thing, the team should NOT be lining up for a try until the foul/no foul problem is resolved. If that means marching back 90, 95 or 99 yards to toss a flag, so be it.

NFHS published mechanics say this (I quote from the 5-man section which is also the same for 4-man) for what the Referee will do on a forward pass:
refer to page 62 if you like (last years manual).
Forward Pass:
Referee: I.B.6 Be alert to observe illegal pass
a. move to spot of pass to determmine whether passers feet were in or behing the neutral zone when ball was released.
b. If illegal, drop penalty marker. Continue to officiate
c. If close, mark spot of pass with a bean bag and continue to officiate.

Umpire: II.B.5. Assist referee to determine whether passers feet were in or behind neutral zone when ball was released.
B.6. Drop penalty marker at spot from which illegal pass is thrown.

If your local/state mechanics say to do something else, you of course do that.

There is one potentially devasting flaw with bagging a close play rather than flagging it for a possible wave off later. I think it is obvious, but the flaw is this, the chain crew, despite all your pre-grame pep talk with them, may take off down the field prior to the Referee taking a look at the bag/box relationship. You've now lost the exact reference spot. I tought call now becomes even tougher. Hey, you do your best and move on.

[Edited by Theisey on Jul 10th, 2002 at 07:18 PM]
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Great advice from everyone!

I have been attending meetings at a Chicago officials' association for about 5 years now. What's nice about their weekly Tuesday meetings is that they're usually attended by at least 2 of the Big Ten's crew chiefs every week. We have also been blessed with ocassional visits from officials from the NFL (like Ritchie Reels, Jerry Markbreit and Don Hake) along with members of those Big Ten and Gateway Conference crews. One of our ranks has actually "made it" and is going to be umping in "The League" this fall and I think that we're all proud of Tony!

You guys hit on just about everything that we've been taught by the "big boys". I don't know if you had expert advice, or you've just fallen into good, solid habits with years of experience (probably both). Nevertheless, I've picked up at least two good ideas that I'll use this fall.

One comment though... I don't think that the ump on a five-man (or larger) crew should blow his whistle unless it's absolutely positively necessary! Remember that we don't end the play, the players do! ...and umpires should never "end the play". I've heard this drilled into my thick skull at least once a week during the season by the best of the best.

One other tip that helps during the time of the game when time is of the essence:

To save time, work with your linesmen on ball spots in hurry-up situations. Normally, you take your spot from the closest linesman. Well, when you're running around trying to get the ball back into play, you could save a valuable second or even two, if you ask your linesmen to mirror each other on EVERY play during a 2-Minute Drill. This way, you don't always have to spend time turning to face the nearest line-guy. You can just spot 'n' go!

Peace everyone - and have a great season!