Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 03:26pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Mea Culpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
You didn't print the part of the rule that doesn't say, "unless MLB umpires deem it to be defined as they feel that day or within the confines of what they deem to be or not to be a jump step or turn etc., and award one base instead of two".
Thanks, Jice. Lol!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Muddy water?

From earlier this year,

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TB@DET: Verlander is called for a balk in the fifth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Verlander had a rule book balk called on him for spinning off of his non pivot foot, but that video was not found.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 09:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
From earlier this year,

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TB@DET: Verlander is called for a balk in the fifth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Verlander had a rule book balk called on him for spinning off of his non pivot foot, but that video was not found.
I might have it. I will have to check.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Now that is closer to a jump turn then what I have seen in other places. Of course he just didn't complete the step.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:50am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
If you are eager to debate that ruling further, I would encourage you to post it in the other thread.
Challenge taken... NLCS blown base award
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Red Robin or Red Herring?

Someone please check on the legallity of disengaging from the front of the pitcher's plate.

In a previous CWS balk video and earlier thread, a pitcher steps toward third with his non-pivot foot and then immediately executes a jab step in front of the rubber with the pivot foot to disengage and turn towards first base. The ruling is not a balk.

In the latest NLCS thread, stepping backwards off the rubber is considered a move from the rubber by a group of MLB umpires.

I can't find one written example, a video explanation or case play to validate these two "paranormal" calls.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Oct 31, 2012 at 11:02pm.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2012, 12:15am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Don't look at me.

Quote:

In the latest NLCS thread, stepping backwards off the rubber is considered a move from the rubber by a group of MLB umpires.
JohnnyG has my torch and all I have is a ten-foot pole.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 09:00am
I hate Illinois Nazis

I'm Back!

All right, I'll help you SA...
Quote:
In a previous CWS balk video and earlier thread, a pitcher steps toward third with his non-pivot foot and then immediately executes a jab step in front of the rubber with the pivot foot to disengage and turn towards first base. The ruling is not a balk.
The following quote from MLBUM should help you. Please keep in mind that the MLBUM is a supplement to OBR. That is, it does NOT contradict or supersede it.

MLBUM 7.5(h): A pitcher must step directly toward a base before throwing or feinting to that base, but he is not required to throw (except to first base only) because he steps. It is possible, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal. However, if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher, while in contact with the rubber, steps toward third and then immediately and in practically the same motion "wheels" and throws to first base, it is obviously an attempt to deceive the runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be ruled a balk. Of course, if the pitcher steps off the rubber and then makes such a move, it is not a balk.

NOTE: With runners on first and third, if a pitcher fakes a throw to third base and then throws the ball to first base, arm motion is not required in the fake to third, although a legal step is required. Also, in the fake to third base, the pitcher must break contact with the rubber before throwing to first base. If the ball is thrown out of play in the throw to first, the pitcher would be considered an infielder for the purpose of the award.

Quote:
Well, that would be one point of view. Given that many here needed a slow motion replay to ascertain that Cain stepped back, it would be presumptuous to conclude how the umpires considered Cain's move.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Election Day Coverage

[QUOTE=Lapopez;861063]All right, I'll help you SA...
Also, in the fake to third base, the pitcher must break contact with the rubber before throwing to first base.
-------
In the earlier thread, the jab step was used to break contact with the rubber, though it was not considered a jab step after the legal feint to third base. The pitcher who is standing over the rubber from 3rd to 1st base is considered a fielder.

I would like to see the NCAA and Fed adopt the 2013 MLB ruling asap.
------
In the later thread, the jump turn was used to break contact with the rubber and it was still considered a jump turn even though it was made behind the rubber. The pitcher who is standing over the rubber from 3rd to 1st base is NOT considered a fielder.

I would like the pitcher to return to the classic jump turn, and penalize him two bases for trying to step off at the same time he is trying to pick off a runner on 1st base.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 03:07pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Presumption of Innocence

Quote:
In the later thread, the jump turn was used to break contact with the rubber and it was still considered a jump turn even though it was made behind the rubber. The pitcher who is standing over the rubber from 3rd to 1st base is NOT considered a fielder.
...and the pitcher who stepped behind the rubber IS considered an infielder.

Quote:
I would like the pitcher to return to the classic jump turn, and penalize him two bases for trying to step off at the same time he is trying to pick off a runner on 1st base.
You may correctly enforce two bases if he stepped back.
This is what the Sovereign Lord says: "In the pride of your heart you say, 'I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas.' But you are a mere mortal and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god." (Ezekiel 28:2)