The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Can Brenly Really Be This Clueless?

In the NLDS Game 4 in Washington, Cardinal Pitcher Kyle Lohse was attempting to bunt. When a pitch missed the strike zone and Lohse pulled away, Bob Brenly said something like, "It really looked like he left the bat out too long. If he keeps the bat in the hitting zone when the ball is there it is a strike." He did not say anything about making an attempt to bunt the pitch.

The saddest thing about hearing things like this is that the casual fan thinks someone with Brenly's baseball experience knows what they are talking about. I would hope that when he was a player or manager, he did not argue with umpires with statements like the one above.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 05:37pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
In the NLDS Game 4 in Washington, Cardinal Pitcher Kyle Lohse was attempting to bunt. When a pitch missed the strike zone and Lohse pulled away, Bob Brenly said something like, "It really looked like he left the bat out too long. If he keeps the bat in the hitting zone when the ball is there it is a strike." He did not say anything about making an attempt to bunt the pitch.

The saddest thing about hearing things like this is that the casual fan thinks someone with Brenly's baseball experience knows what they are talking about. I would hope that when he was a player or manager, he did not argue with umpires with statements like the one above.
Yes, he can be this clueless.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 07:05am
Stirrer of the Pot

Maybe he coaches a daughter who plays softball?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Maybe he coaches a daughter who plays softball?
NCAA Softball, no one else.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

FWIW and for the sake of accuracy...

Other softball sanctioning bodies have mimicked the NCAA ruling that holding the bat in the strike zone equates to an offer at the pitch. NFHS and USSSA are two of them (I'm fairly certain that there are others, just not sanctioning bodies I deal with on a regular basis).

So, "NCAA Softball, no one else" is not a true statement.

We now return you to our our regularly scheduled baseball discussions...
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 08:48am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
NCAA Softball, no one else.
NFHS as well. I think ASA is the only major organization that still requires an actual movement of the bat towards the ball to be a bunt attempt.

I just hope those recent rule changes don't find their way to baseball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
FWIW and for the sake of accuracy...

Other softball sanctioning bodies have mimicked the NCAA ruling that holding the bat in the strike zone equates to an offer at the pitch. NFHS and USSSA are two of them (I'm fairly certain that there are others, just not sanctioning bodies I deal with on a regular basis).

So, "NCAA Softball, no one else" is not a true statement.

We now return you to our our regularly scheduled baseball discussions...
LL adopted it too for their softball divisions.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
LL adopted it too for their softball divisions.
Add NSA
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:45am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
The saddest thing about hearing things like this is that the casual fan thinks someone with Brenly's baseball experience knows what they are talking about.
Brenly's obviously not alone. Former players who work as color men in the booth are notorious for butchering the rules.

Remember the play where the umpires sent Nats Michael Morse back to the plate to run out a grand slam after they verified through replay that the ball went over the wall? Nats announcer FP Santangelo mentioned that a runner passing another on a home run is irrelevant. I guess he thought a there were no violations since the ball is dead. Ummm, no, FP, but thanks for playing.