The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 11:13am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
If the 2nd baseman is "playing in shallow right field", he's not an infielder for the purposes of this rule in my opinion. Your opinions may vary.
That's consistent with pro instruction. It does not, however, apply to the play in the OP, as F6 started in his customary position in the infield.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
That's consistent with pro instruction. It does not, however, apply to the play in the OP, as F6 started in his customary position in the infield.
My latest post was in response to the scenario presented by voiceoflg . As I implied earlier, in the play in STL vs ATL, the shortstop was a legitimate infielder and all other elements were present to declare an infield fly. I have no problem with the call as made in STL vs ATL.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I finally saw the actual play and I have no problem with the call. It fits all the rule requirements that I am aware of. I guess I could understanding not calling this too, but then I would see people suggesting that someone was thrown out at 3rd or second as being unfair too.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I finally saw the actual play and I have no problem with the call. It fits all the rule requirements that I am aware of. I guess I could understanding not calling this too, but then I would see people suggesting that someone was thrown out at 3rd or second as being unfair too.

Peace
If it was deep enough that they could only throw someone out at 3rd if it dropped, then it shouldn't draw any ire or be called unfair either - as either way (IFF or not IFF), it's just one out.

I think I'd have called it IFF, after watching F6. But I would not fault a no-call here either.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

The infield fly is possibly the most misunderstood (by fans and coaches)call (umpires typically make. And it comes from all sides.
Last year alone I had :
1)A defensive coach complain that I didn’t call it. (he wanted me to bail out his incompetent defense.)
2)An offensive coach complain that I did call it.
3) An offensive coach complain that I didn’t call it on a bunt attempt.
4 )A defensive coach complain that “Infield fly, batters out if fair!” confused his 3rd baseman causing him to let a popup fall foul.
5) Fans complain and murmur nearly everytime I call it.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 04:18pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
The umpire saw this: The infielder drifted back, turned to face the infield, did the sweep (Stay away !) signal. That's when the umpire must decide.

Now, those runners are not running. The fielder was perhaps 60 feet from third base. Are you trying to say that a runner can get from second to third before a ball thrown by a professional can trevel 60 feet?

I agree if it had been high school, perhaps even college, that would probably not have been called. But this was a big league call for a big league game.
Holbrooke waited until the ball was less than a split second from hitting the ground before he called the IFF. What were the other five umpires looking at, and/or waiting for? This was the first time I've ever seen an infield fly called this deep, and I hope it is the last.

Last edited by Steve Meyer; Mon Oct 08, 2012 at 04:24pm.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Meyer View Post
Holbrooke waited until the ball was less than a split second from hitting the ground before he called the IFF. What were the other five umpires looking at, and/or waiting for? This was the first time I've ever seen an infield fly called this deep, and I hope it is the last.
The other 5 waited to see the one whose responsibility to call that area make a call. He waited until ALL criteria was met for the IFR to be in effect. Until then, nothing to call. It was on time and appropriate. All criteria was met, both "technically" and "spiritually".
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 01:23pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
The other 5 waited to see the one whose responsibility to call that area make a call. He waited until ALL criteria was met for the IFR to be in effect. Until then, nothing to call. It was on time and appropriate. All criteria was met, both "technically" and "spiritually".
Okay, call it when the infielder was camped under the ball. Not when the F6 moves away, and the outfielder isn't even close............Holbrook blew it, plain and simple.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 02:29pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Okay, call it when the infielder was camped under the ball. Not when the F6 moves away, and the outfielder isn't even close............Holbrook blew it, plain and simple.
Hmmm....he WAS camped under the ball.

JJ
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Hmmm....he WAS camped under the ball.

JJ
Who was camped under the ball? F6 didn't ever make it out to where the ball landed. That's what the not ordinary effort camps whole point is. At least as I understand it. He didn't have time to check his F7 and get under the ball.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 02:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Okay, call it when the infielder was camped under the ball...
I'm sure he tried to. The problem was, as soon as it appeared F6 was under the ball, he immediately bailed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As soon as F6 was slowly stepping back and calling for it, that is ordinary effort. Oh look, it doesn't say he has to be "camped" under the ball or stationary. He just has to show ordinary effort to get to the fly ball. Holbrook called it according to the rules, plain and simple.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the SS waved his arms signaling to his teammates that I have the ball. Correct and good call. If the SS had done his job and caught the ball, this discussion, the one on the softball board, and the one on umpire.org would not be taking place.

102 responses is enough, I think this horse is dead already.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 10:09pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
As soon as F6 was slowly stepping back and calling for it, that is ordinary effort. Oh look, it doesn't say he has to be "camped" under the ball or stationary. He just has to show ordinary effort to get to the fly ball. Holbrook called it according to the rules, plain and simple.
(edit)

If you still think he was protecting the offense, both runners moved up very easily after the ball struck the ground.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 10:45pm. Reason: unnecessary roughness
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Good thread. I think it has run its course.