The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 08:12pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
I must admit that I DO enjoy the whines of the Evil Empre and its minions.
I suppose that call caused today's loss, too, completing the destruction of their 10 game lead.

Maybe MLB should save some money on officials and get themselves some "replacement umpires."
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I suppose that call caused today's loss, too, completing the destruction of their 10 game lead.

Maybe MLB should save some money on officials and get themselves some "replacement umpires."

What loss today?

Yankees 13 Orioles 3

Lead is 1
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 09:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One of our local tv sports pundits said this was pay back for Jeffrey Maher..... as if!
So it was a delayed makeup call?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Men's League (35+) DH Sunday, I'm on the bases. At the beginning of the game, we're told in a sort of jesting manner, "Just don't give us any calls like the one Teixiera got the other day in Baltimore."

And, of course, with 2 outs and nobody on, bottom of the 7th,home team losing 4-3, the last play of the game would be a ground ball to the 3rd baseman who throws long to first on a bounce caught solidly by the 1st baseman. I hear the pop of the glove and see the foot hit the bag - a Whacker! End of game! Didn't I hear it (no curse words though) from BR and Head Coach about the Teixeira play and the horrible call I had just made! All I said back to them was "the ball beat the runner" (3-4 times) as I motioned to my partner to exit with me to the cars with verbal variations of horrible call chants in the background. Now we prepare for the 2nd game, me at the plate.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Men's League (35+) DH Sunday, I'm on the bases. At the beginning of the game, we're told in a sort of jesting manner, "Just don't give us any calls like the one Teixiera got the other day in Baltimore."

And, of course, with 2 outs and nobody on, bottom of the 7th,home team losing 4-3, the last play of the game would be a ground ball to the 3rd baseman who throws long to first on a bounce caught solidly by the 1st baseman. I hear the pop of the glove and see the foot hit the bag - a Whacker! End of game! Didn't I hear it (no curse words though) from BR and Head Coach about the Teixeira play and the horrible call I had just made! All I said back to them was "the ball beat the runner" (3-4 times) as I motioned to my partner to exit with me to the cars with verbal variations of horrible call chants in the background. Now we prepare for the 2nd game, me at the plate.
Too many Y****e fans everywhere.

Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
I must admit that I DO enjoy the whines of the Evil Empre and its minions.

Hold onto your socks while you read this ultimate Yankee apologist; he's looking to hang the entire NYY collapse on this one call. Rarely have I seen such an absurd, illogical premise by a sportswriter.

D'Alessandro: If the Yankees lose the pennant by a game, an umpire's call will be the reason why | NJ.com

Ace in PA
My favorite is the assumption that the Yankees would have scored 2 more runs had Tex been ruled safe. It's still entirely likely that they'd have lost this game even if the right call had been made.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:19am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One of our local tv sports pundits said this was pay back for Jeffrey Maher..... as if!
The stupidity of some of these pretty faces they put on TV nowadays never ceases to amaze me.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:28am
Veteran College Umpire

"And..." as they say, "...that's baseball".

JJ
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
My favorite is the assumption that the Yankees would have scored 2 more runs had Tex been ruled safe. It's still entirely likely that they'd have lost this game even if the right call had been made.
Check your math. If Tex was safe the game was tied.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 01:52pm
Stirrer of the Pot

This was nothing more than a missed call on a wacker. It happens weekly, probably even daily, in MLB play. This one just happened to be a game-ending call that would have tied the score if it went the other way. If it had happened in the fourth inning, it wouldn't have caused a ripple in the press.

Of course, nobody talks about other parts of the game that had just as much bearing, if not more so, on its outcome. The Yankees had runners of first and second with one out in the sixth, and then Martin and Granderson both strike out. In the eighth, Granderson popped out with runners at first and third to end the inning. Sabathia gave up three home runs, including back-to-back shots that let the Orioles tie the game early. And why let Swisher, who is mired in a slump, bat with the bases loaded and no outs in that ninth inning?

One call may be the difference between the Yankees making the post-season or not? Puhleeze. How about focusing on the real issues with NY as they let a ten-game lead in late July disappear? How many of those games have they lost to missed calls?

Texeira, like nearly every other player in pinstripes, gets paid an obscene amount of money to come through in situations like this with an extra-base hit, not a weak grounder that he has to leg out to prevent a DP. He should be mad at himself, not the umpire, for his failure to deliver.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
on a wacker. .
It wasn't that close
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Check your math. If Tex was safe the game was tied.
I think you know what I meant though... this play, if ruled correctly, didn't win them the game. They didn't just need the run scored on this play, they needed another.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

bad call is a bad call

We have all done this for a long time and can emphasize with an ump who misses a call. The replays clearly show Tex was safe so you can call them whiny all you want, they were right. As someone else said, that call cost them a tie, no way to know who would have won. Not to mention, maybe you should have scored more runs earlier and then you wouldn't have to worry about a bad call that just might happen.