The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I'm not - you're missing my point entirely.

My point is that IF this happens often, as you assert it does, then it would be caught on camera often - and we would see it shown on highlights often. You claim it happens all the time with no proof - if it does happen, there is proof out there - show us.
How would there be proof of a camera not picking up a missed base? How am I supposed to prove that?

ESPN isn't going to spend time showing bases that might have been missed by a runner or runners, even if one of the cameras pick it up. They are interested in big hits, good defensive plays, and good pitching performances. Now, if it happened on a play that would win or lose a game and the cameras picked it up, then they would definitely show it.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 01:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
That's weird, because I never said that a camera would never catch a runner missing a base. I said that even though there are multiple cameras at every game, there is the occasional missed base that doesn't get picked up on camera. Quit making things up.
Don't quote the troll.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 03:55pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
ESPN isn't going to spend time showing bases that might have been missed by a runner or runners, even if one of the cameras pick it up. They are interested in big hits, good defensive plays, and good pitching performances. Now, if it happened on a play that would win or lose a game and the cameras picked it up, then they would definitely show it.
I have to agree. Nobody is going to care that a runner missed a base unless it comes at a time when it dramatically affects the outcome of the game. Why would ESPN show that under routine circumstances? It's no different than violations in other sports that always get ignored in game highlights, such as traveling and carrying in basketball, holding in football, etc. etc.

That would be an interesting case study, however. I'd be curious to know if missed bases happen in pro ball as often as they do at lower levels of the game. Probably not because there are always people watching for them from the dugouts and bullpens, like Carlos Beltran did in this game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

As John McSherry told us at umpire school:

"Fuxxking Steve Garvey gets paid $2 fuxxking million dollars a year and one of his fuxxking jobs is to make sure every fuxxking runner that rounds fuxxking first base touches the motherfuxxker . . . you better fuxxking see it when it fuxxking happens."

People do watch.

T
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I have to agree. Nobody is going to care that a runner missed a base unless it comes at a time when it dramatically affects the outcome of the game. Why would ESPN show that under routine circumstances? It's no different than violations in other sports that always get ignored in game highlights, such as traveling and carrying in basketball, holding in football, etc. etc.

That would be an interesting case study, however. I'd be curious to know if missed bases happen in pro ball as often as they do at lower levels of the game. Probably not because there are always people watching for them from the dugouts and bullpens, like Carlos Beltran did in this game.
They happen much less at the pro level, but I still maintain that they happen at times and don't get appealed.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They happen much less at the pro level, but I still maintain that they happen at times and don't get appealed.
Maintain whatever you like. Read what Tim said. It doesn't happen.

West Houston Mike