The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Off-season suggestions?

Not a lot of Umpireing gigs (FED and Babe Ruth) here in the Mid-West until next spring. Other than obviously studying rule books and case books, I'd like some suggestions for this fall/winter on how to improve my game (ie. specific books, video, physical training etc).
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

See if any schools in your area do indoor practices with live pitching. Getting in the cages will help make sure the first pitch you see in a real game isn't the first one you've seen since August.

You could also take the time to hit the gym. Whether it's weight training or cardio, stay active. Do squats and build up your legs to help push you through extra innings. Get some running in and gain an extra step or two heading up to third base.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 05:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

CrossFit and the Evans Balk Video.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 08:34pm
Veteran College Umpire

Here are some thoughts I wrote for an old web page back in November of 2000. Stuff still applies -

It's the end of the season, and time to reflect on things that have happened through the 2000 season. We all remember the fun games, the great plays and players, the tournaments, and the 95-degree days. Here are a few things to also look back on:

1. Your partners. Yep, the guys you worked with. Remember - you can learn something from everyone you work with. It might be something you DON'T want to do, or it might be something you want to try that might improve your craft. Hopefully, you've been picking other ump's brains all year about things they do, and hopefully you've had a chance to try some of those things. Use a Fall scrimmage at a local Junior College to try that new plate stance or strike call. They appreciate having an umpire, and you get the work! Call an umpire you liked working with and ask him why he does the things he does. Ask him what he said to that irate coach to calm him down. Ask him what YOU could do differently that might work for you. A good umpire is a GREAT resource!

2. Speaking of great resources, the early off-season is a great time to look at the sticky, goofy, unusual plays that you were involved in, heard about, or were asked about. Write them down so you don't forget (I keep a file in my computer), and every chance you get, ask another umpire about them. Web sites are popping up all the time with great chat rooms and bulletin boards (try Officialforum.com), and you don't have to sign up to check in! I guarantee you'll get as many answers as umpires you ask, and everyone has a different reference. Remember one of my rules of thumb - "Don't stop looking for an answer just because you find one!"

3. This is also the best time to look at your gear. What can be salvaged, and what needs to be scrapped? Most of the gear guys have off-season sales, so watch your umpire magazines and mailings. Whatever you decide to keep, get it cleaned and pressed and shined and put it away until you need it.

4. Finally, this is a good time to think about where you want to be next year, and what you need to do to get there. Are you content working the level you're at? Want to move up? Talk to someone at the next level, and find out what you need to do. Should you go to a school, camp, or clinic? Contact a few now and ask for promotional materials. Ask someone who has gone to one if they found it valuable (I always suggest going to more than one, because every one emphasizes something different). Find one that stresses work in your weak areas, and GO FOR IT!

JJ
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you can officiate another sport. I think the better officials are one that can do another sport as they tend to have to deal with similar conflict issues and have to learn other rules and use judgment philosophies that can often cross sports.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 11:32am
In Time Out

Pilates!
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:24am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Not a lot of Umpireing gigs (FED and Babe Ruth) here in the Mid-West until next spring. Other than obviously studying rule books and case books, I'd like some suggestions for this fall/winter on how to improve my game (ie. specific books, video, physical training etc).
You don't have any rec leagues in your area that do fall ball, such as Little League?

Every one of our local LL programs conduct some sort of fall ball to train and develop the kids in what's supposed to be a non-competitive environment, but inevitably some games turn into anything but. It's a great opportunity for veteran umpires to help new volunteer umpires learn the game, and to see things that will test their rules knowledge.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Contact a JUCO/NAIA/DIV III conference officials coordinator and work some of their fall showcases or fall leagues. You can get evaluated and possibly move up to college baseball (if you want).

-Josh