The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Charged Visits

I had a fed game tonight. The assistant (1B) coach for the team in the 3B dugout stopped by the mound each inning, handed the ball to the pitcher and spoke to him briefly each inning. After the third time, I told the head coach that he was out of free trips. He asked what I was talking about and I told him that he had been charged a visit each time his assistant handed the ball to the pitcher and spoke to him between innings. The coach was upset to the point that he nearly ejected himself. He must have told his assistant not to do it any longer, because we didn't have an issue the rest of the game.

What am I missing here? Why was the head coach so upset?
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:30am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
I had a fed game tonight. The assistant (1B) coach for the team in the 3B dugout stopped by the mound each inning, handed the ball to the pitcher and spoke to him briefly each inning. After the third time, I told the head coach that he was out of free trips. He asked what I was talking about and I told him that he had been charged a visit each time his assistant handed the ball to the pitcher and spoke to him between innings. The coach was upset to the point that he nearly ejected himself. He must have told his assistant not to do it any longer, because we didn't have an issue the rest of the game.

Could you go into more detail about the Asst. Coach's visits. Were the visits during the time the Pitcher was warming up or actually during the inning itself?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:36am
In Time Out

Quote:

Do the math. Because you charged him for three trips that weren't trips.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Umpire99: "What am I missing here? Why was the head coach so upset?"

FED Case Book:
"3.4.1 SITUATION H: Between innings the coach of Team A walks from the third base coach’s box to the pitcher’s mound and proceeds to visit with F1. RULING: F1 has one minute in which to complete his warmup throws. At that point, the coach should leave the field. The umpire should not allow play to begin until the coach is off the field. The umpire may assess the coach a charged conference if he delays leaving the field. (6-2-2c EXCEPTION)"
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Or how about Fed Rule Book:10-2-3j. Umpire -in -Chief. "Keep a written record of defensive and offensive team charged conferences foe each team and notify the respective coach each time a conference is charged to his team."
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Troll Alert.

This is the guy who allegedly told the catcher to tell the pitcher to stop complaining about the strike zone or he"d "squezze him so hard his balls would hurt."

Check his thread history for some other great posts.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why are you charging a trip if the meeting is between innings? Don't you read things that we talk about here? We must address this topic at least 4 to 5 times every Spring! No, you do not charge trips on meetings between innings as long as the meeting does not hold up the game!
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I almost replied to this guy! Sheeze.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 08:05am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
...I told him that he had been charged a visit each time his assistant handed the ball to the pitcher and spoke to him between innings. The coach was upset to the point that he nearly ejected himself.
I don't blame him.

What other secrets do you keep from coaches and then spring on them at the last minute?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker