The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

When is it considered an official trip to the mound by a manger? I had a situation last night where the manager came out to talk to his pitcher before the inning had started. The game had started, but we were between innings. Does this count as an official visit? Does the same logic apply between 1/2 innings. i.e. can the manager of the visiting team go to the mound before the bottom half of the inning begins and not have it count as an official visit? Please clarify. Thanks
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike clauson
When is it considered an official trip to the mound by a manger? I had a situation last night where the manager came out to talk to his pitcher before the inning had started. The game had started, but we were between innings. Does this count as an official visit? Does the same logic apply between 1/2 innings. i.e. can the manager of the visiting team go to the mound before the bottom half of the inning begins and not have it count as an official visit? Please clarify. Thanks
If it doesn't delay the game, don't count it as a visit. (Unless it's LL and if they have a specific different interp.)

Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

It is a Junior level LL game. I don't see anywhere in the rules where it covers this. I had some fans pretty upset when I ruled it didn't count.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike clauson
It is a Junior level LL game. I don't see anywhere in the rules where it covers this. I had some fans pretty upset when I ruled it didn't count.
Fans:

1. Have the inalienable right to be stupid.
2. Can always see better from 150 feet than a base umpire can from 12.
3. Can always see pitches better from thirty feet, a side angle, being elevated on stands and through the umpire and catcher than the plate ump ever could.
4. Know the rules better than anyone especially the ones covering the hands being part of the bat and the tie going to the runner.

And

5. Have the right to express their opinions based on the above as loudly as possible with the slightest fear being corrected.

However, you should never take their opinion or reaction into consideration when making a ruling or a call.

[Edited by GarthB on Jul 11th, 2004 at 12:44 PM]
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

In our league we have a rule that says the third out of hte previous inning is the immediate beginning of the next inning... so there is no "Between Innings" if he goes out its a trip because the inning already started... so you might wanna check to see if you league has a rule like that...
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rmstone
In our league we have a rule that says the third out of hte previous inning is the immediate beginning of the next inning... so there is no "Between Innings" if he goes out its a trip because the inning already started... so you might wanna check to see if you league has a rule like that...
Only, of course, if you want to pick nits and boogers while looking for the sh!##y end of a stick to hold while waiting for your memberhsip in the OOO association to be approved.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
coaches

I had a coach try and pull this on me this year. American Legion AA game.

Coach: "isn't that a trip to the mound?"
Me: "what code are we playing by?"
Coach: "code?"
Me: "rules. HS, College, Major League, Legion"
Coach: "I don't know"
Me: "no it's not a trip. this isn't little league."
Coach: "oh" as he wanders off scratching his head.

I got a chuckle out of it.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rmstone
Do you have time limits in your league? If so, this rule would apply to when the time limit is up, but not to what is a trip? If the coach talks to his pitcher on the field during the time he is given to warm up, it should not be considered a trip.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Item 143 in The 2004 BRD:

FED: If the coach stands with his pitcher at the mound during half innings, he is not charged with a conference. PENALTY: If the coach's presence creates a delay, the umpire "may" charge a conference.

OBR: Point not covered. OFF INTERP: Same as FED. PENALTY: If such a "conference" delays the game: Following the first delay, the umpire should warn the coach that on the next delay he will be charged with a trip to the mound. A team must be warned once per game before the penalty is invoked.