The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

High School Today (NHFS) Article

Hi folks,

For those of you that don’t know I am on the publication committee for the Nation Association of State High Schools signature magazine High School Today (NFHS | High School Today).

As a committee member I am asked to sometimes write articles. As I represent all contest officials as a member of the committee I am frequently asked to articles that touch our core readership (superintendents, principals, and school board members) and the officiating world.

I am in the middle of writing an article that speaks to “what is expected in the contractual relationship between a school and an official”?

What I am looking four are three or four officials to be interviewed by e-mail in their expectations of what is expected when you go to work a game.

As this is an education based magazine I am also interview a number of AD’s as what they expect from YOU.

Just drop me a PM if you have interest.

IMHO, this will be a lot more fun than discussing who calls Running Lane Violations.

Thanks,

Tim
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

My obligation is to honor my contract. If I don't I owe the school a game fee as a penalty if there are no mitigating circumstances.

The schools obligation IMHO is as follows:

If I show up at a field and the game is cancelled and I'm not notified (no email, no message left at my contact number) I should be paid a full game fee.

If before the game is started we get rained out I should get a travel fee of some sort to cover my expense.

Once a pitch is thrown I should receive a full game fee even if that is the only pitch of the game.

It would be nice if game mangement, a school official, AD beside the Head Coach were present to handle issues that may arise during and after the game.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Hi folks,

For those of you that don’t know I am on the publication committee for the Nation Association of State High Schools signature magazine High School Today (NFHS | High School Today).

As a committee member I am asked to sometimes write articles. As I represent all contest officials as a member of the committee I am frequently asked to articles that touch our core readership (superintendents, principals, and school board members) and the officiating world.

I am in the middle of writing an article that speaks to “what is expected in the contractual relationship between a school and an official”?

What I am looking four are three or four officials to be interviewed by e-mail in their expectations of what is expected when you go to work a game.

As this is an education based magazine I am also interview a number of AD’s as what they expect from YOU.

IMHO, this will be a lot more fun than discussing who calls Running Lane Violations.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim , would be glad to particpate. Let me know.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 05:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
You might want to drop him a PM if you're interested.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
My obligation is to honor my contract. If I don't I owe the school a game fee as a penalty if there are no mitigating circumstances.

The schools obligation IMHO is as follows:

If I show up at a field and the game is cancelled and I'm not notified (no email, no message left at my contact number) I should be paid a full game fee.

If before the game is started we get rained out I should get a travel fee of some sort to cover my expense.

Once a pitch is thrown I should receive a full game fee even if that is the only pitch of the game.

It would be nice if game mangement, a school official, AD beside the Head Coach were present to handle issues that may arise during and after the game.
I would also be nice if high schools went to RefPay or something similar. Only a handful of ADs come out to the car/dressing room before the game to hand over the check. There's nothing worse than putting a check in your back pocket and then washing it that night.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 05:52pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54outs View Post
There's nothing worse than putting a check in your back pocket and then washing it that night.
At least you get paid on game day.

I have to wait a month.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
At least you get paid on game day.

I have to wait a month.
I am still, waiting for one.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54outs View Post
I would also be nice if high schools went to RefPay or something similar. Only a handful of ADs come out to the car/dressing room before the game to hand over the check. There's nothing worse than putting a check in your back pocket and then washing it that night.
Doesnt Refpay take fees out, though?
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm more interested in schools supporting umpire authority and judgement.
Many seem to forget that building future citizens that can handle situations both negative and positive (sportsmanship) is the ultimate goal. Take a bad situation and turn it around.
I've run into a few schools that winning is more important than teaching lifes lessons.
Money is important. It gets us to do many games we would rather not. Most of us would do the "good games" for free. Money gets us to do the rest of them.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
Doesnt Refpay take fees out, though?
$5 if you want them to issue a check. Unlimited free direct deposits. There may be some fees for their debit card.