The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

60-foot diamond positioning question

I'm working the bases tomorrow night for a U11 summer playoff game, and I've never done the bases on a small diamond before. Where do I stand when I'm in B or C? On the infield grass like I would on a 90-foot diamond? Or behind the infielders because it gets too "crowded" otherwise?

This town usually just uses 1 umpire behind the plate for 60-foot diamond games, but I did work one game with 2 umpires in which I had the plate. The BU was positioning himself in the outfield in B and C, and it seemed like he was miles away on any call at first. Especially from C.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

You are correct 60 ft. you work outside. On a hit to the outfield you get inside to see touches, and to get a good angle, on close plays. You need help at third sometimes, alot of talking with your partner. It will be fun.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafxos View Post
I'm working the bases tomorrow night for a U11 summer playoff game, and I've never done the bases on a small diamond before. Where do I stand when I'm in B or C? On the infield grass like I would on a 90-foot diamond? Or behind the infielders because it gets too "crowded" otherwise?

This town usually just uses 1 umpire behind the plate for 60-foot diamond games, but I did work one game with 2 umpires in which I had the plate. The BU was positioning himself in the outfield in B and C, and it seemed like he was miles away on any call at first. Especially from C.
You work outside. But you MOVE! Generally PU takes all catch/no catch and fair/foul. If the ball goes out, you move in and pivot. If the ball stays in the infield, you move toward the play, closing the distance. If you close the distance, you should be as close as you would be on the 90' to make the call.

Let the ball take you to the play.

Rita
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Just rim it like you would a girls softball game. Be prepared to move a lot. Communication with HP on 3rd base coverage will make things go a lot smoother.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Just rim it like you would a girls softball game. Be prepared to move a lot. Communication with HP on 3rd base coverage will make things go a lot smoother.
Third base coverage should be pregamed and communicated similar to how it's done on the 90' diamond.

Rita
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Third base coverage should be pregamed and communicated similar to how it's done on the 90' diamond.

Rita
I totally agree. It's just that in my experience there seems to be more opportunities for HP to help out at 3b on a 60' diamond than on a 90' diamond. Thus when you are working with a good HP who communicates well (as discussed in your pregame) it can working on a 60' diamond pretty easy.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just rim it like you would a girls softball game.
Which softball organization or sanctioning body do you think instructs its umpires to work "on the rim"?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 09:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
FWIW, rimming is the mechanic used in NCAA softball when the BU starts in A and the batter hits a clean single. But it is not endorsed by ASA softball. ASA wants BUs to move into the diamond on balls hit in the outfield unless they're taking responsibility for trouble balls.

On the 60' diamond, there's a more important reason why BUs start in the "outside" B or C beyond self-preservation. It's because they have to watch for certain base-running infractions while the pitch is being delivered. In girls softball, for example, runners must maintain contact with the bag until the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand. And in youth baseball with "closed" bases (e.g., LL), runners cannot leave their bases until the pitch reaches the batter. So BUs set up outside to watch for those infractions.

If the U11 game you're working doesn't have those base-running restrictions, there's no real benefit gained by starting in the "outside" B or C other than giving yourself a little more reaction time on sharply-batted balls. So if you feel more comfortable inside, go for it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Mon Aug 06, 2012 at 09:57am.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Which softball organization or sanctioning body do you think instructs its umpires to work "on the rim"?
NCAA.

I'll rim in ASA or NFHS in one and only one situation - stolen base or passed ball where it's obvious there will be no play at 2nd, but possible that there will be a play at 3rd.

Kiddo baseball, I'll do the same.

But generally, rimming is less advantageous than just moving to positions you would normally take on the big diamond. The only thing drastically different is the starting position. Keep in mind that Outside C on a small diamond and inside on a big diamond are not drastically further from what you're used to.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
NCAA...
Which was kind of my point. The vast majority of "girls" softball (and, for that matter it would be the same for boys or men), everything below NCAA, does not teach "rimming" or staying outside the diamond in all situations.

And NCAA doesn't call their sport "girls" softball. It's "womens" softball!

So, I wonder what sort or "girls softball" the post was refering to and how something that isn't a taught or standard mechanic could be utilized in a youth baseball game?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

My bad. Thought you were asking an actual question, not trying to score argument points. Carry on...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. Game was pretty uneventful. It did feel weird setting up behind the infielders, though. Especially in C. I had trouble figuring out how to get in position for plays at 1B from there, with infielders moving around and a runner crossing in front of me. But I don't think I missed anything. Pretty clean game overall.