http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2003-...fs-cover_x.htm
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
There's not nearly enough about how wrong TV announcers are about the rules. And about how various levels of ball have different rules, and different standards. Just the simple fan remark, "How come he gets two shot for a technical foul?" demonstrates how clue-less most fans and coaches are. i also think the increasing view by parents that this is an investment in their kids future rather than a fun activity to learn mature attitudes also increases the pressure. I'm still shocked by what a parent said to me at a sixth grade game last year, "Do you know you are taking away my son's scholarship?" It is this myopic view of the world that does as much damage as instant replay on TV.

The real question is, as refs what recourse do we have? How can we counter-act these negative influences? I don't have any great answers, but wonder if anyone else does?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The real question is, as refs what recourse do we have? How can we counter-act these negative influences?
Allow only the players and game management in the gym. I can dream, can't I?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd quit right away.

I've talked to guys this season who don't ever want to work varsity -- they like being able to be home by 8PM.

I even talked to an AD who offered me (on top of 4 varsity games for next season) a slate of JV games. She said I could turn them back, since she knows that varsity "pays more."

Both miss the point, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't get a band at JV games. I don't get the atmosphere, the insane crowds, the anthem, the introductions, the announcing over the PA, the level of play, the (sometimes) level of coaching. I enjoy watching the JV game and having the time to mentally prepare before I take the court.

My wife stopped coming to as many games because the crowds would berate her husband during the game. When she asked me about it, I sincerely told her I didn't hear it. And I don't. I hear the coaches, but that's by choice

I also get home at 11:00 some nights, but that's OK.

I do get more money, but that's not why I do it. It is nice that I don't visit an ATM during the season, but that's not the reason I do this.

My high school season is coming to an end. I'll not be eligible for playoffs for four years because my current state doesn't recognize my previous experience in other states and is forcing me to start at the bottom of the food chain. Oh well, not anything I can do about that.

Rich
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Help for Refs?

I think that every player should have to ref some rec games and see just how tough it is. I am a brand new ref (1 month) and I swear I will never complain about a ref again. I have total new respect for you all!

Just my two cents.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Personnaly I'd like to see the NBA,NCAA,NFL etc... put wording in their next TV contracts that when a commentator gets it (a rule) wrong that a public correction be made during their next broadcast. This would have the effect of educating the public and getting the commentators to either learn the rules or spend a lot of time correcting themselves. Bill Walton could just schedule a weekly 1 hour program during which he could correct his mistakes to save time on his regular broadcasts.
I know it's not going to happen but who believes that there would have been the crying over the pass int. in the Ohio State game had the announcer not jumped in with "Bad Call, Bad Call" and how many people are there out there that actually believe that announcers know what they are talking about when they apply a rule. Aside from Madden's one knee=2 feet admission, announcers really haven't been held up to a very high standard. Jim
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Ideal place to officiate?

at an orphanage.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'd quit right away.
Rich -- you miss my point. I love the varsity atmosphere, too, and the whole routine. Believe me, I want to move up!!

What I'm disturbed about is the hostility and vituperation that spills forth at the lower levels. And the assaults both physical and verbal that occur at all levels. It is all completely inappropriate.

Watched a game tonight where the book person was the wife of the coach of the "home" team. She said, if they didn't win, he might get fired, because the school was putting so much pressure on him to win this particular tournament. They did have a couple of really good players, who choked a little, and they lost--not by much, and they played great. But she is truly worried about her financial situation, because some 13 and 14 year old boys acted like 13 and 14 year old boys. This guy has coached there for 20 years, and they are going to fire him because his team came in 2nd at an 8th grade tournament, that they had travelled two days to reach??

Completely, totally out of line. Where is the perspective? What are we teaching our kids? Abusing and assaulting refs is just part of this larger problem, and it's only going to get worse.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Actually, Juulie, I was responding to Chuck suggesting we work in empty gyms..

I agree with you.

Rich
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

My high school season is coming to an end. I'll not be eligible for playoffs for four years because my current state doesn't recognize my previous experience in other states and is forcing me to start at the bottom of the food chain. Oh well, not anything I can do about that.

Rich-
That may change in the very near future. Deb Hauser spoke at a recent association meeting of mine and she is considering scrapping the current levels we have. I also believe that at the very minimum she is going to include Level 5 officials in post-season next year.

mj