The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 10:34am
Stirrer of the Pot

Early Kill

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@MIL: Lucroy comes home on a throwing error - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Seems to me the PU may have jumped the gun a little early here.

U2 must've felt lonely afterwards. His three other partners were all engaged in meaningful dialogue!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I have an out @1st base which was verified by the slo-mo. Sometimes, you have to know how F3 plays his position in order to make the right call (says the ex 1st baseman).

I also didn't see anyone call TIME. Hands should be going up and I didn't see anything.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I think, yet again, they screwed the pooch on this one. Yelling at an umpire during a live ball is not a defacto request for time. Punish stupidity where possible. NO ONE waived this dead.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I disagree. The Home Plate Umpire called Time when the runner was 15 feet from home.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Hold on there a minute...

There is a story about this play on

Close Call Sports: Rule 5.10: Are Umpires Calling "Time" to Argue?

"However, when Ransom returned to third base, he argued with 3B Umpire Laz Diaz. Replays indicate Diaz had granted "Time" to third baseman Ryan Zimmerman while Ransom was still near third base."
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

OK, then the screw up was on a different umpire for a different reason. I still maintain that umpires getting yelled at during a live ball is not grounds for killing the play. Looks like Diaz did just that.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

This is very painful to watch. The call at first was excusable (although obviously wrong) but killing the play for no reason is not.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 12:47pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
"However, when Ransom returned to third base, he argued with 3B Umpire Laz Diaz. Replays indicate Diaz had granted "Time" to third baseman Ryan Zimmerman while Ransom was still near third base."
Well, I suppose if Diaz felt play had essentially ended, and granted Zimmerman Time, that makes a difference. It does appear after watching the video again that Zimmerman was complaining after Ransom came home.

That's still a pretty quick Time call. I'm thinking that Diaz didn't expect Ransom to take off.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 01:23pm
Official & ***** Member

See: Chuck Knob-head, 1998 ALCS.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

If Laz called TIME, he should have signaled it! It's one of the things stressed in school and even drilled! I drill newbies until their arms a limp..... no excuse... the crew screwed up royal!

Newbies, take notice on this one. If you are going to call TIME:
  • Be sure all play has stopped and there is no potential for play to continue
  • Call and signal TIME, not just do it verbally. Your partner may not be able to hear you
Also, if your hands go up, there is no doubt that you are calling TIME and this $hitty situation you see in the video will not happen to you!
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
If Laz called TIME, he should have signaled it!
How did Easterbrook know there was time if Laz didn't signal it? Look at his discussion with Roenicke, he points in Diaz's direction at least twice and it looks like he says, "I know but he had time." Easterbrook is sure immediately that time was called, you don't see you him trying to undo the run later, he is immediately emphatic. Unfortunately we can't see Diaz on the video, although the link I posted says that replays show him calling time. Just because one player acts is if no one had called time, does not indicate, imply, or otherwise mean that Diaz did not call time.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How did Easterbrook know there was time if Laz didn't signal it? Look at his discussion with Roenicke, he points in Diaz's direction at least twice and it looks like he says, "I know but he had time." Easterbrook is sure immediately that time was called, you don't see you him trying to undo the run later, he is immediately emphatic. Unfortunately we can't see Diaz on the video, although the link I posted says that replays show him calling time. Just because one player acts is if no one had called time, does not indicate, imply, or otherwise mean that Diaz did not call time.
Doesn't the link you post show LAZ signalling time?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 05:22pm
Veteran College Umpire

This is the reason why, if you call "time", you make sure someone else on the crew SEES you call "time" and if you're that someone YOU mirror the call as well.
This also saves lots of balks being called and then rescinded...

JJ
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a story about this play on

Close Call Sports: Rule 5.10: Are Umpires Calling "Time" to Argue?

What am I missing here, we have a screw up in a WSH vs ML game, both on the call and the time-out (possibly) and the article talks about the game and shows a PITvs MIL picture of Diaz calling time????????
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 08:45pm
In Time Out

Reading this thread reminds of the time Paul LoDuca (don't remember what team he was on at the time, Dodgers or Mets) spiked the ball into the ground after a safe call at home (he was ejected immediately). John Smoltz, the batter was advancing to 2B when this happened. For some reason the play was killed, and Smoltz was returned to 1B.

I contacted the crew chief Hunter W. as to what happened. He replied that the play was over at that point. I then asked what if he threw the ball into CF instead. I never heard back.

If LoDuca throws the ball down, and wants to jump up and down raving at the HPU, I ain't calling time.