The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Balk or Not

Teener league game....14/16 major league rules: Pitcher is intentionally walking batter, catcher steps out for pitch as pitcher releases ball......coach is calling for balk , by the third pitch he is screaming for balk. After fourth pitch he is ejected.

Please advise..........watching the majors, I have never seen any call on this and the catcher is alot farhter out than this guy was.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 04:42pm
CT1 CT1 is offline
Official & ***** Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,018
By rule, F2 is required to be in his "box" until the time of the pitch -- which is the first movement that commits the pitcher to pitch. At that time, F2 can move.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 10:20pm
DG DG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ump View Post
Teener league game....14/16 major league rules: Pitcher is intentionally walking batter, catcher steps out for pitch as pitcher releases ball......coach is calling for balk , by the third pitch he is screaming for balk. After fourth pitch he is ejected.

Please advise..........watching the majors, I have never seen any call on this and the catcher is alot farhter out than this guy was.
Coach is not wise. Don't let him argue same point for 4 pitches. One pitch, he gets explanation. Shouldn't happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
By rule, F2 is required to be in his "box" until the time of the pitch -- which is the first movement that commits the pitcher to pitch. At that time, F2 can move.
That is correct for FED not OBR. The commonly ignored rule states "until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand" for intentional walks only. TOP is actually used in practice in OBR when it rarely if ever is called.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Coach is not wise. Don't let him argue same point for 4 pitches. One pitch, he gets explanation. Shouldn't happen again.
Ball 1 - Ignore
Ball 2 - "He's fine. Enough."
Ball 3 - Bye bye
Ball 4 - Silence
__________________
I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 09:17am
CT1 CT1 is offline
Official & ***** Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Ball 1 - Ignore
Ball 2 - "He's fine. Enough."
Ball 3 - Bye bye
Ball 4 - Silence
This.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:57am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
The commonly ignored rule states "until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand" for intentional walks only. TOP is actually used in practice in OBR when it rarely if ever is called.
Ahhh, Yes, another archaic OBR that has long outlived its usefulness.

OBR also at one time required the pitcher's pivot foot to be entirely within the 24" confines. But that was rarely enforced, and eventually the ruleswriters came to their senses and changed 8.01 to require only contact with the rubber. They need to do the same with 4.03(a).
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
balk or not

Well put Manny, I agree the rule is outdated because the catchers box is no where like it was years ago ( not to many). And when the Majors do it they do the same thing, stick out the glove and jump way outside BEFORE pitchers releases the ball.

But rule 4.03 does state "until the ball leaves his hand", so therein I believe my fellow ump was wrong????
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ump View Post
Well put Manny, I agree the rule is outdated because the catchers box is no where like it was years ago ( not to many). And when the Majors do it they do the same thing, stick out the glove and jump way outside BEFORE pitchers releases the ball.

But rule 4.03 does state "until the ball leaves his hand", so therein I believe my fellow ump was wrong????
Are you listening?

N O B O D Y calls that a balk.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In.
Posts: 2,192
Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'd call it a balk.

But only on one of your pitchers, Rich.

And because Manny told me to do it...............


Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 25, 2012, 07:57am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I'd call it a balk.

But only on one of your pitchers, Rich.

And because Manny told me to do it...............
Troublemaker........
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 25, 2012, 07:58am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ump View Post
But rule 4.03 does state "until the ball leaves his hand", so therein I believe my fellow ump was wrong????
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Which "fellow ump" are you talking about? You said in your OP that the defensive coach was complaining and then got ejected. What did the umpire do (or fail to do) that was wrong with what is said in 4.03?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 25, 2012, 08:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Which "fellow ump" are you talking about? You said in your OP that the defensive coach was complaining and then got ejected. What did the umpire do (or fail to do) that was wrong with what is said in 4.03?
My interp was that it was because he didn't call a balk when 4.03 says it's a balk.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 25, 2012, 09:20am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
My interp was that it was because he didn't call a balk when 4.03 says it's a balk.
From the OP: "Pitcher is intentionally walking batter, catcher steps out for pitch as pitcher releases ball......

Sounds like the umpire was properly applying 4.03 here, since he didn't call a balk and the coach was complaining. So I'm not sure why 3ump felt the umpire was wrong.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 25, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
From the OP: "Pitcher is intentionally walking batter, catcher steps out for pitch as pitcher releases ball......

Sounds like the umpire was properly applying 4.03 here, since he didn't call a balk and the coach was complaining. So I'm not sure why 3ump felt the umpire was wrong.


3Ump seemed to be saying it was a balk because the catcher moved out before the ball was released - which is what the rule actually says, but his partner didn't call it. His partner went with the TOP convention - what else could 3Ump be thinking his partner was wrong about?.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Balk/No Balk: LHP fients pickoff the 3rd base Mike6221 Baseball 4 Sun Jun 07, 2009 09:47pm
RHP in stretch facing 1st base (balk or no balk) tem_blue Baseball 6 Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:00pm
Stealing Home, P in Windup, Balk or No Balk? johnnyg08 Baseball 2 Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:12am
To Balk Or Not To Balk, That Is The Question.. chuckfan1 Baseball 21 Wed Sep 03, 2003 03:21pm
Balk, Balk Yells the Coach!!! Gre144 Baseball 12 Tue Jul 10, 2001 07:32am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1