The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Balk or Not (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92108-balk-not.html)

LMan Wed Jul 25, 2012 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 849845)
I'd call it a balk.

But only on one of your pitchers, Rich.

And because Manny told me to do it...............

Tim.

Tim wins the Internet today.

Rich Ives Wed Jul 25, 2012 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 849845)
I'd call it a balk.

But only on one of your pitchers, Rich.

And because Manny told me to do it...............

Tim.

Birdman's authority ends at the Pentagon door. :D

rbmartin Wed Jul 25, 2012 04:15pm

Situation: OBR. 1 out. Fast runner on 2nd. 1st base open. Coach tells catcher to call for intentional walk. Catcher sets up 10 feet up 3rd baseline to recieve pitch in order to prevent R2 from stealing 3rd.

Obviously, in a ridiculous case like this you may want to call a balk. Otherwise, let it go.

MD Longhorn Wed Jul 25, 2012 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 849891)
Situation: OBR. 1 out. Fast runner on 2nd. 1st base open. Coach tells catcher to call for intentional walk. Catcher sets up 10 feet up 3rd baseline to recieve pitch in order to prevent R2 from stealing 3rd.

Obviously, in a ridiculous case like this you may want to call a balk. Otherwise, let it go.

No. I can't allow the pitcher to pitch until the catcher gets into the box. If the catcher is set up way over there, we don't have a pitch - we have infielders throwing the ball to each other.

Rich Ives Wed Jul 25, 2012 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 849891)

He has to be in the box until the TOP.

rbmartin Thu Jul 26, 2012 05:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 849913)
He has to be in the box until the TOP.

Penalty?

MD Longhorn Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 849929)
Penalty?

No penalty - just no pitching.

To get this particular balk, catcher has to be in the box and pitcher ready to pitch, and THEN get out of the box entirely before the pitch (without the umpire seeing him getting up and out and wondering what was going on, and calling time). Very unlikely scenario. Would almost have to be intentional by the catcher.

Don't.

Call.

This.

Balk.

EVER.

3ump Thu Jul 26, 2012 03:37pm

My mistake guys....he was not my partner I was not umpiring in this game....merely meant that I to umpire so therefore he is my fellow ump.

Just trying to get some confusion out of the way here, because by rule" until ball leaves his hand " certainly is not enforced in majors......coach was ejected because of his violent explosion after ump explained why he was not calling it a balk......however I to was involved in this same scenario two years ago....I did not call the balk either. Mine came bottom of 7th score tied 3-3, runners on 2nd & 3rd....I be dam game was not going to end on that .

Rita C Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeOutReplay (Post 850011)
If you did then it would show your LL mentality. :D

That mentality can be found in association umpires as well.

It's not a matter of association. It's a matter of training.

Rita

BigUmp56 Fri Jul 27, 2012 02:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeOutReplay (Post 850011)
If you did then it would show your LL mentality. :D

Considering that I would only call it on a Rich Ives coached pitcher shows only how much I'd like to see the look on an old Internet friends face the moment I called it.

Nothing more, nothing less..............

And welcome back to the board. I heard they'd torn down your bridge and you lost Internet access whilst moving.

Tim.

Manny A Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 849883)
Birdman's authority ends at the Pentagon door. :D

I no longer have any authority. I retired June 1, so now I'm a lowly civilian. ;)

CT1 Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 850084)
I no longer have any authority. I retired June 1, so now I'm a lowly civilian. ;)

Congratulations, and many thanks for your service!

Manny A Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37pm

Thanx, all. 30 years in the Army is a long run, and for the most part quite rewarding. I just hope my second career as a contractor supporting "another" Federal Department is equally fun. So far, it's not too bad.

The worst part is trying to figure out what suit, shirt and tie to wear. It was too easy when it was a military uniform!

LMan Fri Jul 27, 2012 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 850113)
Thanx, all. 30 years in the Army is a long run, and for the most part quite rewarding. I just hope my second career as a contractor supporting "another" Federal Department is equally fun. So far, it's not too bad.

The worst part is trying to figure out what suit, shirt and tie to wear. It was too easy when it was a military uniform!

I feel your pain..

BigUmp56 Fri Jul 27, 2012 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 850113)

Congratulations on your retirement, Manny!

As an old "Internet" friend, please allow me to say thank you for your many years of service to our country. You have my utmost respect and admiration.

Tim.