The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

curious--- question about PU in CWS tonight

The guy probably would not be there if he wasn't up to the job, and it looks like he is. However, if I'm not mistaken, I heard him verbalize "inside" on a called ball. I always thought that was strictly a no-no. It's been a long while since I worked college baseball. Has that changed?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

From what I hear this is becoming more of the norm. Not quite sure I agree with doing play by play but if it works for some, that is their business. I believe that most of the time when someone is asking the location of the pitch, it is because they don't agree with your call. Especially a catcher or pitcher. Just my opinion.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
From what I hear this is becoming more of the norm. Not quite sure I agree with doing play by play but if it works for some, that is their business. I believe that most of the time when someone is asking the location of the pitch, it is because they don't agree with your call. Especially a catcher or pitcher. Just my opinion.
There's a difference between asking to get disagreement across and asking in order to do a better job. A good catcher asks because they want to know where you're working so they can work within your view. If you're not seeing the low and out pitch, there's no reason for him to pound those spots if it's not going to work. If he's just asking to be an a-hole, then "outside of the zone" is a simple answer.

A little context simply lets them (hitter included) know where you have those borderline spots. Do you have that pitch low or do you have it out? For a ball at the knee but a tad outside, "ball, that's out" means to bring that back in and you got it.

If you're going to verbalize positions, you have to work hard on consistency because you're giving out more information. When you ring someone up on a pitch further out than your last "ball, out", you're going to catch some heat.

I've been verbalizing for a while now and it works well for me. At higher levels the catchers seem to expect it.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 12:14am
Stop staring at me swan.

I watched nearly all of the CWS and Super Regional games. More umpires than not were verbalizing balls.

It hasn't caught on for me yet, but the guys at the highest level other than pro ball are doing it, maybe there's something to it??
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:14am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I watched nearly all of the CWS and Super Regional games. More umpires than not were verbalizing balls.

It hasn't caught on for me yet, but the guys at the highest level other than pro ball are doing it, maybe there's something to it??
The only thing to it is that they're miked up.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:18am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
At higher levels the catchers seem to expect it.
At higher levels the catcher shouldn't take long to determine the umpire's zone. They should be mostly consistent to begin with.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 07:08am
Stop staring at me swan.

So they only reason they're verbalizing is b/c they're miked?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

I have written about this before.

I verbalized the VERY close pitches. I did this as it cut the amount of chatter from people who could not recognize if the pitch was "just off the plate."

I would NEVER verbalize "up and down" . . . just inside/outside.

And, in closing, I would comment that 90% of my verbalized calls were "Inside!"

T
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Not being deragatory here but, I realize sometimes were not dealing with rocket scientists as catchers and as an ex-catcher myself I understood that there were only two reasons a pitch was called a ball.

1. It was outside of the umpires zone.
2. The umpire missed it.

A good catcher, after about 3 or four batters is always very capable of figuring this out. So I really have never bought into that adjustment stuff but, thats just me. In fact, many good catchers will set the scenario up early to get a feel for your zone. No questions necessary.

Having said that I always reply if asked and again if this works for others, go for it.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Some umpires, for whatever reason, feel the need to say up, down, inside or outside. This happens at all levels. I've never understood it.

A great instructor once told me it was insecurity about their own calls. The needed to, somehow, justify their judgement.

Lots of umpires use a touch of "body english" to let folks know where it missed. A slight tilt one way, or another, just after the ball is caught. I've always thought that was very effective.

Good catchers know where you thought it missed, even if they don't agree. So do good coaches. No need to bother with the not so good ones, as they're not going to see the light anyways.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post

They're doing it in pro ball, too. You're just not hearing it.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:01pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Some umpires, for whatever reason, feel the need to say up, down, inside or outside. This happens at all levels. I've never understood it.

A great instructor once told me it was insecurity about their own calls. The needed to, somehow, justify their judgement.

Lots of umpires use a touch of "body english" to let folks know where it missed. A slight tilt one way, or another, just after the ball is caught. I've always thought that was very effective.

Good catchers know where you thought it missed, even if they don't agree. So do good coaches. No need to bother with the not so good ones, as they're not going to see the light anyways.
I'm baffled as to why they point across their body to signal a strike to a left handed hitter. What's that all about?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I'm baffled as to why they point across their body to signal a strike to a left handed hitter. What's that all about?
I do that...but don't have a reason as to why...I just do it.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 06:51pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
I do that...but don't have a reason as to why...I just do it.
That's the consensus among my partners who point across their bodies on lefties. I don't do it, and when I ask them why they do, they just shrug.

Verbalizing pitches--I find those who do are generally like Tim C. I did it on three pitches last night; two outside, as opposed to low, and one low, as opposed to inside. Three in one game is about average for me.

It seemed to be a fad around here a few years ago, when it was all the rage and everyone (except me ) was doing it on every ball. Then it died down and only a few are still doing it on most balls.

Sorta like patent leather.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I have written about this before.

I verbalized the VERY close pitches. I did this as it cut the amount of chatter from people who could not recognize if the pitch was "just off the plate."

I would NEVER verbalize "up and down" . . . just inside/outside.

And, in closing, I would comment that 90% of my verbalized calls were "Inside!"

T
Very well put and I agree, "inside" is the most questioned call.

Thanks
David