The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Jewelry

I am puzzled as to why so many umpires allow the wearing of jewelry within amateur sporting events. It seems like travel ball is really bad with the players wanting to wear multiple rope necklaces and some even wearing chains. I myself give a friendly reminder at the plate meeting to remove all jewelry, then during the game if I see any I have it removed immediately. Most of the umpires though could care less about what the players wear and it bothers me that they allow them to play wearing all this darn jewelry. Also, when you ask them to remove their jewelry you get a dumbfounded look from the player and coach due to the fact that most umpires have never told them to remove it before.

Take a look at this picture from a regional high school game and you can clearly see multiple jewelry items being worn.

http://d1csi9vjsd9t3h.cloudfront.net...d6fe7988c5.jpg

Why do umpires willingly ignore this safety rule?
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 06:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I am puzzled as to why so many umpires allow the wearing of jewelry within amateur sporting events. It seems like travel ball is really bad with the players wanting to wear multiple rope necklaces and some even wearing chains. I myself give a friendly reminder at the plate meeting to remove all jewelry, then during the game if I see any I have it removed immediately. Most of the umpires though could care less about what the players wear and it bothers me that they allow them to play wearing all this darn jewelry. Also, when you ask them to remove their jewelry you get a dumbfounded look from the player and coach due to the fact that most umpires have never told them to remove it before.

Take a look at this picture from a regional high school game and you can clearly see multiple jewelry items being worn.

http://d1csi9vjsd9t3h.cloudfront.net...d6fe7988c5.jpg

I ignore it because, with the exception of HS and LL, there *is* no such rule in games I work.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most of the umpires though could care less about what the players wear
Or maybe they couldn't care less
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you quote this rule (and ruleset)?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Can you quote this rule (and ruleset)?
The post is about High School Ball which except in 2 States is NHFS.

NHFS

1-5-12 Jewelry shall not be worn (See 3-3-1 d) except for religious or
medical medals. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert must be taped and may be visible.

3-3-1d
ART. 1... A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:
d. wear jewelry (players participating in the game) or wear bandannas;

PENALTY: At the end of playing action, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be ejected, except for (f), where the coach shall be ejected. In (b), it is also obstruction (8-3-2)
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

It depends what rule set we are working under in the summer. Legion uses major league rules with some variations. VFW uses high school rules. Iowa high school uses federation rules. So as I see it, I don't care what they wear for jewelry in legion but do care in VFW and high school games.
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
The post is about High School Ball which except in 2 States is NHFS.
OK, I now see the link at the bottom is high school.. I responded after reading the beginning:
Quote:
I am puzzled as to why so many umpires allow the wearing of jewelry within amateur sporting events. It seems like travel ball is really bad with the players wanting to wear multiple rope necklaces and some even wearing chains. I myself give a friendly reminder at the plate meeting to remove all jewelry, then during the game if I see any I have it removed immediately
I didn't get "high school" out of "travel ball". I see the confusion now.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
OK, I now see the link at the bottom is high school.. I responded after reading the beginning:
I didn't get "high school" out of "travel ball". I see the confusion now.
Yeah, it took a couple of reads for me, too.
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 03:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Yeah, it took a couple of reads for me, too.
I am still trying to figure it out. He is first talking about travel ball, not NFHS rules. All travel ball I've ever seen was OBR based, and the kids get all blinged out, with no rule preventing it. Travel ball always cracks me up how everybody thinks they are like some elite group of players, coaches, and managers, as if they are on the Junior Professional circuit or something.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I am still trying to figure it out. He is first talking about travel ball, not NFHS rules. All travel ball I've ever seen was OBR based, and the kids get all blinged out, with no rule preventing it. Travel ball always cracks me up how everybody thinks they are like some elite group of players, coaches, and managers, as if they are on the Junior Professional circuit or something.
I hate working travel ball!!

http://finickypenguin.files.wordpres...8/06/mr-t1.jpg

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion guys haha.

The picture is within a high school game using FED rules obviously. I posted it as the player is clearly wearing two necklaces and also has a band on. There is no way that the umpires could have missed this, so why are they willingly allowing the players to wear it?

My rant into travel ball comes from the fact that I have yet to do a game within USSSA where there was not one kid with his neck hanging over from all the necklaces he is wearing.
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Most of the travel ball I do uses HS rules, and so must have no jewelry. There have been multiple occasions where I have required one person to remove jewelry, and then within a few seconds, the 1/2 the rest of the team removes some too!
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treydawgmt View Post
Most of the travel ball I do uses HS rules, and so must have no jewelry. There have been multiple occasions where I have required one person to remove jewelry, and then within a few seconds, the 1/2 the rest of the team removes some too!
Just curious - what org is the umbrella for your travel ball?

The only one I've run across that uses FED is AAU.
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
The tournaments run by USA Baseball, Perfect Game, CABA, and other smaller entities like the Battle in the South all use NFHS as the basis for their rules.

USSSA and Nations baseball use OBR based rules with some of the NFHS safety rules.

Roughly speaking, at about age 14 (sometimes less) travel ball organizations which have players that will end up playing college ball pretty much stop playing in USSSA or Nations and play instead tournaments that use NFHS rules.
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Just curious - what org is the umbrella for your travel ball?

The only one I've run across that uses FED is AAU.
I do a ton of Gameday USA tourney's, they all use FED rules. I do a bunch of other travel ball, not even sure who it is (nor do I really care), but I'm betting 70-80% of the non-men's leagues I do are FED here in the Chicago Suburbs.

(And I'm not a big fan of the men's leagues most of the time, just the larger paychecks!)