The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
You did not mention in the OP that the assistant coach was mouthy, complaining, and threw his hat in the dugout. You said he threw his hat on the "ground," which I think led us to believe he was on the field performing these antics. I really don't care much about what he throws in his dugout, as long as it doesn't come out on the field.
I agree here because I would never have any idea if a coach threw his hat in the dugout-nor would I care if he did it.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I agree here because I would never have any idea if a coach threw his hat in the dugout-nor would I care if he did it.
That's what I said - for which mbcrowder called me idiotic. Sounds like my take on the situation was correct after all.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
That's what I said - for which mbcrowder called me idiotic. Sounds like my take on the situation was correct after all.
No, your take contained a great deal of supposition and misrepresentation, which is the reason Mike said what he did. You totally put words in my keyboard by misstating what I said. If you got any of it right, it was totally by accident.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 02:40am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
No, your take contained a great deal of supposition and misrepresentation, which is the reason Mike said what he did. You totally put words in my keyboard by misstating what I said. If you got any of it right, it was totally by accident.
Why does a professed Christian such as yourself, always pass judgment on others? (take his balls out of his wife's purse/if you got any of it right, it was totally by accident...............please)

Praise be to Allah, I guess.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only by luck, so don't get too cocky. Otherwise SDS (and others) are spot-on here. Where the AC threw his hat makes a big difference in this situation, and we didn't know that up front.

Always entertaining when the story changes post by post.... wonder what the next version will be?
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 08:20am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post

Always entertaining when the story changes post by post.... wonder what the next version will be?
It's kind of like the rules of Calvinball I guess.

Welcome back, are you making your yearly sojourn?
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 08:27am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
On a side note, I have done all levels of amateur baseball and it seems as if youth ball has the most trouble. Coaches seem to not know the rule book and think that they are always right and can say whatever they wish to without repercussion and then when something is said to them they look at you dumbfounded.
No sh!t, Sherlock.

That's why it's incumbent on umpires to train these neophyte coaches (and players) in the ways of the baseball world.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First off ... that's not what you said. What you said was,
Quote:
Perfect example of a combination of rabbit ears and the "my dick is bigger than your dick" school of umpiring.

Don't go "getting an angle" so you can pick up on comments from the mouthy coaches - you're looking for trouble. If the coach comes to you and starts the conversation with "You...", or something simiilar, sure, dump him. Otherwise, unless it's loud enough to be showing you up, laugh and walk away. Pissing and moaning in the dugout is part of the game. Coaches like this will generally end up ejecting themselves. No need to go looking for trouble. And "relishing" the opportunity to get back at a coach means that you are no long an unbiased and neutral arbiter - you now have an agenda and are looking for an excuse to eject. I wouldn't want you umpiring my game either.
I did not say that YOU were idiotic. I said that what you said was idiotic. And it was. You said nothing about the hat. What you did say is still idiotic. Your "relishing" comment being the cherry on top, as the person you were talking to said nothing about getting back at a coach, having an agenda, or looking to eject.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

+1
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
There is no trying to talk my way out of any situation. From a few of the posts it seems as if some might have thought the coaches continually came out of the dugout and argued face to face with us. The thought of ejection crossed my mind on Friday yet I felt as if a warning was more warranted before ejecting and it worked for that day. Sunday the coach crossed the line and he was ejected for his actions. The initial question I was posing was how to handle the situation with the UIC. The information on the coaches was to try and paint the whole picture. The age group was 12U.

On a side note, I have done all levels of amateur baseball and it seems as if youth ball has the most trouble. Coaches seem to not know the rule book and think that they are always right and can say whatever they wish to without repercussion and then when something is said to them they look at you dumbfounded.
You two should have "burned" the dugouts on Friday and then ejected immediately on the next offense. 12U coaches need to learn their place because they are supposed to be examples to the "kiddies".

As far as your UIC, it already told you that he wouldn't do this to me more than once!
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's kind of like the rules of Calvinball I guess.

Welcome back, are you making your yearly sojourn?
Had a moment after the wrapup of the 4U Coakalinski Classic All-Star Invitational....thought I'd peek in.

All looks about the same, I see.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
First off ... that's not what you said. What you said was,

I did not say that YOU were idiotic. I said that what you said was idiotic. And it was. You said nothing about the hat. What you did say is still idiotic. Your "relishing" comment being the cherry on top, as the person you were talking to said nothing about getting back at a coach, having an agenda, or looking to eject.
Oh baloney - It was clear from SDS's entire post, in context, what it was he was "relishing" to do.

And it was clear from my post that I was referring to what goes on in the dugout - which is why I mentioned the fact that the OP had UIC walking over to the dugout to engage the coaches and U1 also walking over to "get an angle" on the conversation. I said that "pissing & moaning" frequently goes on in the dugout, which is why you don't need rabbit ears. The point of my post was you shouldn't go looking for trouble because when you find it you bear some of the responsibility.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:43pm

Quote:
Oh baloney - It was clear from SDS's entire post, in context, what it was he was "relishing" to do.
This is what makes your post idiotic. You are trying to put words in my mouth, when I never meant any such thing. Most good umpires I know want to go back to work teams that think they call the shots, and only to show that they don't get intimidated by such tactics. I enjoy that. I never go looking for trouble. You don't know me, so stop trying to act like you do.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, it was... and not what you imply.

Put me in SDS's camp. If a coach tells me he won't play if I put a certain umpire on his field, I'm putting that umpire on his field. Not because they will have an itchy trigger finger, but because the coach needs to know that he doesn't call the shots regarding who I put out there. If a league ball coach tells me he doesn't want Joe on his field anymore, he gets Joe as often as possible until that coach can handle himself with Joe on the field.

(Very likely, I'm going to find myself in the vicinity of this field a few times)

When I'm not in charge, I would expect the same of my UIC's.

It should be noted that if it turns out Joe behaves in the manner suggested by you (quick trigger finger, or your favorite unnecessarily profane metaphor), I'm having a long talk with Joe... but I respect my umpires and my colleagues enough to not expect them to carry over animosity from one game to another.

This has NOTHING to do with what you imply (or say outright).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 03:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
You're spot on here. A good umpire wouldn't have all the controversy, thus "relishing" the opportunity to get back at a certain team or coach. Replace vindictive for relishing.