The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

position in C

In the 2 man system (Fed ball) with multiple runners I have observed U2 positioning himself almost on the dirt in C. It seems to me your angle is better the closer you are to the circle. Is the reason to create more distance between U2 and the batter to get out of the way of hot shots or is there some other rational? These guys I am refering to are seasoned officials and instructors in several of the local associations in mid Michigan Thanks, Mike
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
In the 2 man system (Fed ball) with multiple runners I have observed U2 positioning himself almost on the dirt in C. It seems to me your angle is better the closer you are to the circle. Is the reason to create more distance between U2 and the batter to get out of the way of hot shots or is there some other rational? These guys I am refering to are seasoned officials and instructors in several of the local associations in mid Michigan Thanks, Mike
Almost on the dirt? Are you saying in the grass but close to the dirt? If you're advocating getting closer ... aren't you advocating even closer to the dirt? I'm confused.

And what circle?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Dirt is the infield dirt and the circle is the pitching mound, I think (hope). I don't know why they would line-up in on the very edge of the grass almost in the infield. It does not give you a strategic advantage that I can see. Are their reaction times so slow that they are afraid they won't be able to move to avoid a batted ball?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I get deep in the "cut", which is not in the infield, but near the dirt, not the circle, but further from the circle than the dirt...

And yes, dodging shots are easier!

I started setting up here several years ago based on input from this forum, if I'm not mistaken.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 10:14am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Almost on the dirt? Are you saying in the grass but close to the dirt? If you're advocating getting closer ... aren't you advocating even closer to the dirt? I'm confused.

And what circle?
Sounded very easy to understand to me. Don't put words in people's mouth, please. It's not very nice at all.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
I get deep in the "cut", which is not in the infield, but near the dirt, not the circle, but further from the circle than the dirt...

And yes, dodging shots are easier!

I started setting up here several years ago based on input from this forum, if I'm not mistaken.
I used to position myself about halfway between the mound and the line between second and third, however as I have aged (and become slower dodging those line drives) I have backed up.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 01:54pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I used to position myself about halfway between the mound and the line between second and third, however as I have aged (and become slower dodging those line drives) I have backed up.
Me too, also.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 02:15pm

If I know the batter at the plate can really rake, I find myself backing up a couple of steps too. Sometimes it feels like they are aiming at me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If I know the batter at the plate can really rake, I find myself backing up a couple of steps too. Sometimes it feels like they are aiming at me.
I had a partner recently, rookie in the first half inning, looked like he was getting ready to pitch

Between innings I told him, you gotta back up or they may start aiming at you. He laughed, and I told him to position himself in "the cut" and see how you like it. Next inning he tells me, "oh yeh, that feels much better".
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

thanks Steven Tyler. Some of the folks on this site seem to get a kick out of trying to make others feel stupid. Sorry if I didn't use the "proper terminology". I was referi ng to the infield dirt and the pitchers mound. I have been umpiring since 1969 and havn't been hit yet so I think I will stay closer to the mound where I have a better angle. Peace