The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

When the pitcher comes to his stop in the set position does the ball have to be "inside" his glove.

Last night a pitcher was coming to the set, but the ball was on the outside of his glove. He was a right handed pitcher and he came together with the ball behind his glove (to the 2nd base side of the batter).

There's more to this story but I'll wait to tell the rest after I get some responses.....
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb Jim Abbott

I don't have an official interp, however I will use this situation as justification.

Jim Abbott was a pitcher in the Angels org in the 90s. He was born with a deformed hand. To pitch, he balanced the palm of his glove on the nub of his hand, allowing for quick insertion as part of his follow through.

Based on this precedent, I got nothing, as long as the hands come together when coming set.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

The rule reads "holds the ball in both hands" so technically one on top of each other is not in both hands.

Old Fri May 21, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Abbot

Jump,

You nailed this one. Upon closer inspection, the pitcher had no fingers on his left hand, making it impossible to put the ball "inside" his glove.

I didn't realize it until I stepped toward the mound to mention it...boy did I feel like a fool! I allowed it.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Blueump:

You shouldn't feel like a "fool." The coach should have enough sense to alert the umpires to this player's situation.