The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
That article doesn't give us the proposed wording though. If the OP is correct about the proposed wording that a pitcher must step off before faking to a base (and that it doesn't specifically mention third), then it will apply to 2B.
We'll see what the actual, final wording is. What I saw when a friend of mine who's an MLB Ump sent me indicated that this would apply to all bases. One of the beliefs is because they don't prefer to single out one, specific play per se, but would prefer to focus on the entire general concept of faking to a base without stepping off.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
See I thought this was really easy when I first read everything and now some of you are confusing the issue.

The reason it is being eliminated is based on there is only one "legal" way to disengage from the pitcher's plate: to be legal F1 must "step back" to disengage.

On the Fake to 3rd and throw to 1st the disengagement comes illegally by dragging the pivot foot off the front edge of the plate.

It seemed awfully easy to understand.

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE FEINT . . . it is simply about legally disengaging.

Rules in sports are really a lot like the laws in our country. Many laws are interpreted so many times the actual wording is not always followed the interps are . . .

Same thing happens with sporting rules.

The fake-to-third fake was established in college baseball far before any major league pitcher used it.

Another "illegal" F1 motion is the "jab step" that was invented by Greg Maddox (or SanDiegoSteve). The quick step with the pivot foot toward 3rd (kinda) is just as illegal as the play we are talking about HOWEVER through "tradition" we allow the move.

Don't over think things.

T
A few years back I asked Jim Evans at a clinic if dragging the pivot foot off the rubber during a feint was a legal disengage. He said it was and the pitcher could now run at the runner.
I guess next year that won't be so. Ramifications might include not being able to throw to fielder not covering 2B or 3B.
It looks like the rule need not be changed, only the 8.05(c) comment and whatever the MLBUM says.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Smile

Quote:
The fake-to-third fake was established in college baseball far before any major league pitcher used it.
T, I don't think that's right. 8.05c CMT has been in the book a long time. Jim Evans implies it's been there since 1900.

I know when I started working NBC ball in 1956, the 3-1 move was legal and used occasionally.

In the Texas State American Legion Tournament in 1984, a left-handed pitcher tried the 1-3 move. I was on the bases and yelled: "That's a balk."

He said: "I do that in Houston all the time. Nobody ever balks that move."

I said: "I believe you."

I'll email Hunter and see if he has the exact language. Stick around. If I get it, I'll post it on MY website.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

So, what will we have if a pitcher throws instead of feints? He has not legally dissengaged so I guess he can take the rubber hands together?
From my previous flying training regarding what you should mess with in the cockpit, actually after the training, when I was briefed by a line captain: "Don't touch nuttin you don't know nuttin about."
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 10:18am
Whack! Get Out!!!

There are TONS of discussion boards on the internet where you can discuss politics ... this isn't one of them. Let's keep it to officiating please.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Quote:
"There are TONS of discussion boards on the internet where you can discuss politics ... this isn't one of them. Let's keep it to officiating please. "
Your kidding me. A funny comment by SDS and you take him to the woodshed.

Get a grip.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 01:08pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Your kidding me. A funny comment by SDS and you take him to the woodshed.

Get a grip.
Do you see SDS's comment deleted? I wasn't even talking to him ... there were about 8-10 other comments that I deleted that were unrelated to the discussion and inappropriate for this discussion board.

I think my grip on the situation is just fine.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Do you see SDS's comment deleted? I wasn't even talking to him ... there were about 8-10 other comments that I deleted that were unrelated to the discussion and inappropriate for this discussion board.

I think my grip on the situation is just fine.
I kind of figured that on my own. There had to be more than just SDS's comments.

Peace