The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Don't get yourself straight-lined! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/90956-dont-get-yourself-straight-lined.html)

briancurtin Wed May 02, 2012 08:58pm

Don't get yourself straight-lined!

It's not the best screen capture, but the positions weren't any different half a second before this.

http://i.imgur.com/cDMeI.jpg

briancurtin Wed May 02, 2012 08:59pm

Here's the video: All Top Plays | LAD@COL: Hairston incorrectly called out at first - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

umpjim Wed May 02, 2012 09:11pm

Went 90 to throw; probably didn't read throw and no adjustment. 2SF would have worked here. Pick your poison.

SanDiegoSteve Wed May 02, 2012 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 839969)
Went 90 to throw; probably didn't read throw and no adjustment. 2SF would have worked here. Pick your poison.

I agree. While it's easy to get to 90 and looks like you're really hustling, it more often than not puts F3 between you and the play at the base, especially on the longer or off-balance throws from F5. Two to three steps fair is plenty.

MrUmpire Wed May 02, 2012 09:30pm

Horrible. No excuse. Pure laziness.

MrUmpire Wed May 02, 2012 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 839973)
I agree. While it's easy to get to 90 and looks like you're really hustling, it more often than not puts F3 between you and the play at the base, especially on the longer or off-balance throws from F5. Two to three steps fair is plenty.

If it's really a 90, it will not put F3 between you and the base. Most often, as in the case, he went beyond the 90. He was set up for a throw from third base or even then the mound and it came from the SS position. The bad throw and his failure to adjust made it worse.

SanDiegoSteve Wed May 02, 2012 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 839975)
If it's really a 90, it will not put F3 between you and the base. Most often, as in the case, he went beyond the 90. He was set up for a throw from third base or even then the mound and it came from the SS position. The bad throw and his failure to adjust made it worse.

Yeah, looking at it again, he was more like 45 degrees from where the throw originated.

thumpferee Thu May 03, 2012 09:47am

Worst call ever?

Is there another?:confused:

SE Minnestoa Re Thu May 03, 2012 09:58am

When you figure how many games these guys work and how everything is being videoed, it is surprising there aren't more calls like this made. I might work 60 games a year. I wonder how many calls would show up on You Tube if every call I made was taped?

The MLB guys are great. I wish I were as good as the worst one. But the law of averages will catch up to them too.

MD Longhorn Thu May 03, 2012 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 840043)
When you figure how many games these guys work and how everything is being videoed, it is surprising there aren't more calls like this made. I might work 60 games a year. I wonder how many calls would show up on You Tube if every call I made was taped?

The MLB guys are great. I wish I were as good as the worst one. But the law of averages will catch up to them too.

I think we can all live with mistakes of judgement - it happens. But among this group, bad positioning that leads to a wrong call is going to get no sympathy. I agree that for the most part, MOST of the MLB umpires are as good as it gets. However, I believe we should be able to expect these guys to have stellar mechanics - and when they don't, it's not accepted here. There's no excuse for his positioning on this play.

Rich Thu May 03, 2012 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 839975)

Too damned far -- well beyond 90 degrees. And no read step on the bad throw -- he focused on the play before reading a bad throw. Happens to all of us. Horrible time for it to happen to him considering it ended up all over the web.

mbyron Thu May 03, 2012 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 840043)
But the law of averages will catch up to them too.

No such thing. The explanation is that they're human, and that's ok too. :)

JRutledge Thu May 03, 2012 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 839974)
Horrible. No excuse. Pure laziness.

I do not think it has anything to do with laziness, but an old mechanic that umpires that are older love to hold onto. Actually he had to hustle to get to that spot, but it is just a bad spot.

Peace

505 ump Thu May 03, 2012 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 840098)
I do not think it has anything to do with laziness, but an old mechanic that umpires that are older love to hold onto. Actually he had to hustle to get to that spot, but it is just a bad spot.

Peace

Agreed. Used it myself for many years. Fellow ump showed my 2-3 steps a few years back. using it since.

Publius Thu May 03, 2012 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 840098)

Peace

It's a bad spot in our games. In MLB, where the throw is accurate 99% of the time, that is a far better position than 2SF to judge whether the runner beats the throw. When things go awry, the shortcoming of the position is magnified, but that doesn't detract from how good a spot it is at that level.

"90 to the line of the throw" is a meaningless standard. You're always at 90. The length and direction of the perpendicular varies with the throw, but you're always at 90.