The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 02:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Others have correctly told you that the question to ask is whether an infielder can catch the ball with ordinary effort. The likelihood of a team at a given level turning a double play is not relevant.

I will add that, if F4 is catching the ball, BU should initiate the IFF call. He's got the best angle on whether this will be ordinary effort for the middle infielders.

In general, whoever has fly ball responsibility should be initiating the IFF call, with partner echoing it. And note that, should nobody announce it, the rule is still in force and can be applied retroactively: the announcement is a courtesy to the players, and is not necessary to cause the BR to be out.
I was trained in a similar fashion. This is how the pro school grads and pro umps in our association were teaching it:
  • If the plate umpire calls "I've got the ball," or "I've got the line," he then will initiate the IFF call, declaring "Infield Fly, if fair."
  • If the ball is inside the "pie" from F5 on over to F3, and it turns the BU around, then it's the BU primary call.
  • If it in front of the BU, as near the plate/mound areas, then it belongs to the PU, with the BU echoing the call.

As you say, it is just a courtesy to announce it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegosteve View Post
i was trained in a similar fashion. This is how the pro school grads and pro umps in our association were teaching it:
  • if the plate umpire calls "i've got the ball," or "i've got the line," he then will initiate the iff call, declaring "infield fly, if fair."
  • if the ball is inside the "pie" from f5 on over to f3, and it turns the bu around, then it's the bu primary call.
  • if it in front of the bu, as near the plate/mound areas, then it belongs to the pu, with the bu echoing the call.

as you say, it is just a courtesy to announce it.
+100....
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

The level of play and weather ARE considerations to use when declaring, or not declaring an IFF.

OBR 2.00 ORDINARY EFFORT is the effort that a fielder of average skill at a position in that league or classification of leagues should exhibit on a play, with due consideration given to the condition of the field and weather conditions.

So ordinary effort in LL and MLB are two different animals, with a sliding scale in between.

And if the wind is blowing the ball all over the place you may take that into consideration.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

From the casebook...

10.2.3 situation G

10.2.3 SITUATION G

With R1 on second and R2 on first and no outs, B3 hits an infield fly, but the umpire fails to call "infield fly." Is the infield fly in effect or not?

RULING: Even though the infield fly rule was not announced by the umpire, it is still in effect. Both teams have the responsibility to know when conditions exist for an infield fly.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wind is a factor, sun is not. So if the wind is whipping around what might be ordinary when wind is not blowing is no longer ordinary.

But if he camped under it and caught it it was most likely IFF. If he could not get camped under it because wind was blowing around then no.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Now for some (unknown to me) reason the defensive coach starts yelling at me asking me why I hadn't called the batter out via the infield fly rule.
Another thing you should learn from this is in 99% of all possible circumstances DO NOT allow the coach to yell at you. In this particular case he is way out of order. Shut him down or show him the gate!
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

How's that moderator thing workin' out? Any progress or news?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
How's that moderator thing workin' out? Any progress or news?
At least reporting SPAM won't get you banned from the forum now.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
At least reporting SPAM won't get you banned from the forum now.
Times like this I wish there were a like button!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The level of play and weather ARE considerations to use when declaring, or not declaring an IFF.

OBR 2.00 ORDINARY EFFORT is the effort that a fielder of average skill at a position in that league or classification of leagues should exhibit on a play, with due consideration given to the condition of the field and weather conditions.

So ordinary effort in LL and MLB are two different animals, with a sliding scale in between.

And if the wind is blowing the ball all over the place you may take that into consideration.
I disagree, a fielder camped under an infield fly is a fielder camped. Level of play has no bearing. It is not our job as umpires to determine if a camped fielder can or cannot make the catch.

I do agree with the wind in that on a windy day, I would be inclined to be a little more careful on calling that infield fly if the fielder is moving around too much.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I do agree with the wind in that on a windy day, I would be inclined to be a little more careful on calling that infield fly if the fielder is moving around too much.
If it is real windy I discuss infield fly at pre-game.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 11:03pm

Now I miss Windy.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Now I miss Windy.
Elmo Sings a Special Song for Wendy - YouTube
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 08:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I disagree, a fielder camped under an infield fly is a fielder camped. Level of play has no bearing. It is not our job as umpires to determine if a camped fielder can or cannot make the catch.
Well, they added it into the rule a few years ago, so it must be important to the rules makers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
I was referring to the poster who went by the name of Windy.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Wind is a factor, sun is not. So if the wind is whipping around what might be ordinary when wind is not blowing is no longer ordinary.

But if he camped under it and caught it it was most likely IFF. If he could not get camped under it because wind was blowing around then no.
These are similar to the metrics that my assigners were promoting this year. If the infielder is sprinting hard or leaves his feet, that's not ordinary effort. Neither is trying to make a catch over your shoulder.
They didn't go so far as to state as much, but being able to at least start to turn the body towards the infield should be a good visual, if it happens in time to make the announcement.
I much prefer the infield flys that land between the third baseman and shortstop while both of them are looking at each other. With 8th graders, that's a very plausible play. (I had it Wednesday. )