The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Softball question

Just a quick softball question for those who may have experience in both sports. I was watching a softball game on the Big Ten Network today. The plate umpire did two things I found unusual.

There was a bunt attempt that hit the bat twice. He never called a foul ball, either verbally or signal. There was another bunt that was clearly foul but not by much. Again, no foul signal.

He also held his mask in his right hand instead of the left. Not a big deal but I thought maybe in softball they have a different mechanic.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think if you post this on the softball forum, you'll find more info than you are expecting.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

While they are different sports, on the things in question here there isn't really any difference from baseball.

The umpire should call and signal the ball foul when it hits the bat a second time (bat still in batter's hands, batter still in box) and when a batted ball is close to the line.

Are you saying that he didn't call it foul and left the ball live and in play or that the players reacted as if it was foul so it was obviously foul and he apparently just didn't signal it?

On the mask...softball teaches use the left hand. They're already busting this guy's chops about that over on the softball board! This particular umpire has been a frequent poster on that forum for many years.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
While they are different sports, on the things in question here there isn't really any difference from baseball.

The umpire should call and signal the ball foul when it hits the bat a second time (bat still in batter's hands, batter still in box) and when a batted ball is close to the line.

Are you saying that he didn't call it foul and left the ball live and in play or that the players reacted as if it was foul so it was obviously foul and he apparently just didn't signal it?

On the mask...softball teaches use the left hand. They're already busting this guy's chops about that over on the softball board! This particular umpire has been a frequent poster on that forum for many years.
Thank you. On the foul balls, neither time did his hands go up. However, the players reacted as if it were foul which leads me to believe that the umpire gave a verbal call (I couldn't hear on TV). I thought maybe that softball umps only used a verbal call for foul balls.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Thank you. On the foul balls, neither time did his hands go up. However, the players reacted as if it were foul which leads me to believe that the umpire gave a verbal call (I couldn't hear on TV). I thought maybe that softball umps only used a verbal call for foul balls.
Apparently umpires in the MLB only use "verbal" for foul balls as well....despite what signal they give. Just ask Dale Scott!