The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

reality

I know this sounds harsh, but thats how life is!

Alot of this world is run by the concept of favoritism. Have you ever been given a favor or gotten something complimentary because of a friend? Gotten a job because of a reference from a friend?

All-stars are no different. Personally, yes, I do think that alot of the coaches son's DONT deserve to be on the team, but its one of the perks for that coach who has to be there Every game, every practice, every association meeting. No, its not fair, but its life. Look at the voting for the ALLSTAR game...alot of it is about popularity...(and sure the skill attributes to that...but lets make my case stronger by assuming it doesn't)

In reality, I dont recall WHO said it, but the truth remains...those parents who are coaches usually DO have better quality players because they spend more time with thier son/daughter honing thier fielding and batting skills.

If the kid obviously sucks, then THEY look bad as a coach...At higher levels of play, the player will usually be more "qualified" and "deserving" of the spot he "inherited."

Rest assured, the quality players who dont have a coach/father, will be noticed. And if not then he better bring dad up to coach. It all equals out when they reach high school. AkA the GREAT EQUILIZER...(80 try out...about 17 make it)
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg

Lookin' out for number 1, hey? Tends to make you a pile of number 2.
I'm right and sometimes not. [/B]
haha, I gotta use that one!
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

My son is in a Little League tournament this weekend. Last evening the umpire for the games met and I listened in on their conversation. The lady running the program intimated that in previous years the umpires had been responsible for selecting an MVP for each game that they worked (I assume their decision was based upon plays during the game and the individual player's performance). This year she wanted to do it differently...

"I mean they are all All-Stars. So let's have the umpire choose a number between 1 and 1000 and then have each of the players try to guess the number. Whichever player is closest to the number gets the MVP trophy for that game."

I had a rough time choking back a laugh on that one. The concept of 'yeah they are all All-Stars so let's give random trophies' was funny enough but the idea of an umpire being able to do math with numbers involving three digits was what nearly put me over the top!

How about the first 20 kids that show up for the tournament get MVP trophies? I mean they are all All-Stars," so why not? Maybe the word RANDOM should be included on the trophy... "RANDOM MVP"

You could also put (coach's son) in parentheses.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Oh, gees!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
This year she wanted to do it differently....

"... So let's have the umpire choose a number between 1 and 1000 and then have each of the players try to guess the number. Whichever player is closest to the number gets the MVP trophy for that game."

DownTownTonyBrown,
Yer holding out on the punchline!
Wha' happened?
mick
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I'll watch a game today and maybe a couple tomorrow. I'll let you know how well the umpires can do this higher math (half of them look like junior high kids).

In all honesty, I walked away to keep from laughing... but I didn't hear any comments back from the umpires so I assume they will be selecting MVP's with this new numerical method.

MVP?
Definition: Most-closest-guess-to-ill-conceived-numerical Value-randomly-chosen-and-arbitrarily-manipulated-with-higher-3-digit-math of all-the-All-Star-Players. Yeah, Dad! Look at this trophy I got for choosing number 634. MY, my, Son, that is nice. Nice nice.

I wonder if the tournament organizer will have calulators available?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

that's embarrassing

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
My son is in a Little League tournament this weekend. Last evening the umpire for the games met and I listened in on their conversation. The lady running the program intimated that in previous years the umpires had been responsible for selecting an MVP for each game that they worked (I assume their decision was based upon plays during the game and the individual player's performance). This year she wanted to do it differently...

"I mean they are all All-Stars. So let's have the umpire choose a number between 1 and 1000 and then have each of the players try to guess the number. Whichever player is closest to the number gets the MVP trophy for that game."

I had a rough time choking back a laugh on that one. The concept of 'yeah they are all All-Stars so let's give random trophies' was funny enough but the idea of an umpire being able to do math with numbers involving three digits was what nearly put me over the top!

How about the first 20 kids that show up for the tournament get MVP trophies? I mean they are all All-Stars," so why not? Maybe the word RANDOM should be included on the trophy... "RANDOM MVP"

You could also put (coach's son) in parentheses.

That's absolutely horrible.

Kind of like the soccer team my 5 yr old played on and they wanted to give everyone a trophy. And they only played three games, the other 8 got rained out!!!

I said for what?

You should have heard the parents talking about me.

Ugh!

What ever happened to parents realizing some kids are just better athletes than others.

Sigh!!

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 02:16pm
In Memoriam

Re: that's embarrassing

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

That's absolutely horrible.

Kind of like the soccer team my 5 yr old played on and they wanted to give everyone a trophy. And they only played three games, the other 8 got rained out!!!

I said for what?

You should have heard the parents talking about me.

Ugh!

What ever happened to parents realizing some kids are just better athletes than others.

Sigh!!

Thanks
David
Ouch, ... bad memory !

15-20 years ago, our slow pitch team won a tourney, with the money we purchased our very own trophies!

And we were adults?