View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

that's embarrassing

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
My son is in a Little League tournament this weekend. Last evening the umpire for the games met and I listened in on their conversation. The lady running the program intimated that in previous years the umpires had been responsible for selecting an MVP for each game that they worked (I assume their decision was based upon plays during the game and the individual player's performance). This year she wanted to do it differently...

"I mean they are all All-Stars. So let's have the umpire choose a number between 1 and 1000 and then have each of the players try to guess the number. Whichever player is closest to the number gets the MVP trophy for that game."

I had a rough time choking back a laugh on that one. The concept of 'yeah they are all All-Stars so let's give random trophies' was funny enough but the idea of an umpire being able to do math with numbers involving three digits was what nearly put me over the top!

How about the first 20 kids that show up for the tournament get MVP trophies? I mean they are all All-Stars," so why not? Maybe the word RANDOM should be included on the trophy... "RANDOM MVP"

You could also put (coach's son) in parentheses.

That's absolutely horrible.

Kind of like the soccer team my 5 yr old played on and they wanted to give everyone a trophy. And they only played three games, the other 8 got rained out!!!

I said for what?

You should have heard the parents talking about me.

Ugh!

What ever happened to parents realizing some kids are just better athletes than others.

Sigh!!

Thanks
David