The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:26pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. BLAH.
That's what I thought you said.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Amazing how often I finally decide to unignore someone only to have them last about 3 posts before my senses return... Love it when people put words in someone's mouth and then ridicule them for the things they didn't even say. Classic.
OMG! Do you ever read your own posts?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

If the pitcher's foot was clearly past the rubber call a balk, as was done. It is not impossible to tell and if you don't call it the defensive team will continue to cheat the offense.

From behind the fence on 1b side during pre-season scrimmage I saw a LH batter clearly fail to check his swing, and argument ensued when PU would not ask his partner in A. I asked his partner after the half inning did he swing, and of course he said "oh yea, big time".
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 12:21am

To the OP:

Seems to me that the head umpire threw you under the bus, then backed the bus over you. The "head umpire" in these parts would never tell a coach that the base umpire can't make that call in a two-man system. Never could happen. The fact is that the BU in B or C can make that call just fine and dandy, and for the boss to tell a coach otherwise is blasphemy.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

That was my thoughts also Steve. For an assignor to discuss a situation like that and comment to the coach, without haven't been there, is someone who is sucking up to the coach. As you said "threw you under the Bus."

Good call or bad call, you made it because you thought he balked. The fact that you are discussing it and trying to get a better understanding of the criteria to make that call again, shows your willingnees to learn. Thats how you get better. Good job.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
That was my thoughts also Steve. For an assignor to discuss a situation like that and comment to the coach, without haven't been there, is someone who is sucking up to the coach. As you said "threw you under the Bus."

Good call or bad call, you made it because you thought he balked. The fact that you are discussing it and trying to get a better understanding of the criteria to make that call again, shows your willingnees to learn. Thats how you get better. Good job.
He did NOT say that he told the coach his opinions... There's no indication one way or another whether he threw the umpire under the bus.
Quote:
The coach complained to the head umpire of the association over the call. I have no clue how the conversation went. My boss in talking with me said that he was not going to get into discussing my judgement and that I was correct in the rule however he would have to agree with the coach in that this cannot be seen in a two man crew.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I do not know how the conversation went between the coach and the head umpire. I kind of get the feeling though from the conversation that I had with the head umpire that he very well might have tossed me under the bus though hopefully he did not. One thing that I have noticed is that he is very talkative with the coaches and knows most of them. I think there is nothing wrong with this as long as you still do your job the way you are supposed to as most of them have coached for awhile and he has been umpiring through that entire time. In regards to the coaches I think that they complain a little too much in general. From the games I have officiated and some that I have watched it seems that they want to argue everything. I am hoping that I can make it an entire season without one being an idiot and me having to eject them.

Last edited by tankmjg24; Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 10:02am.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 01:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I do not know how the conversation went between the coach and the head umpire. I kind of get the feeling though from the conversation that I had with the head umpire that he very well might have tossed me under the bus though hopefully he did not. One thing that I have noticed is that he is very talkative with the coaches and knows most of them. I think there is nothing wrong with this as long as you still do your job the way you are supposed to as most of them have coached for awhile and he has been umpiring through that entire time. In regards to the coaches I think that they complain a little too much in general. From the games I have officiated and some that I have watched it seems that they want to argue everything. I am hoping that I can make it an entire season without one being an idiot and me having to eject them.
Shut the complaining down with a good firm directive. It doesn't have to be over the top, but if it persists, pull the trigger, and have no regrets. If your UIC doesn't have your back, it doesn't matter what you do, or say to begin with.