Thread: Job offer
View Single Post
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

< Any rookie advice >
Man I have got tons! I made the transition this year, and have really had my eyes opened. Being as I'm still a rookie, I may or may not help much, but I offer this; Don't expect perfection in your first, or last game, just do your best. Don't compare yourself to any other umpire, only to your last game. I listen to ALL advice from other umpires, and use what should apply. You will be nervous, and YOU WILL MESS THINGS UP. The fact is, 98% of what you mess up probably won't be caught by anyone other than you and your partner. If a situation warrants, call time, and confer with your partner, coaches will respect you for that even if call goes against them. Try as hard as you can to ignore fans, they can make you question your calls. Call all games you can, cause each one teaches you something new. If you do blow a call, it can be fixed, but don't try and "even out" the next play. I will say this, in all my years as a player, coach, spectator/parent, I never made a bad call. It is so much easier to see an outside corner from the bleachers 100' up the baseline! I suppose all should call games before being certified as a spectator! You will question your calls, your position, your strke zone, your demeanor, and even your shoe shine, but never stop, thats what keeps you learning. I felt my first few games that I was in a daze, and very, very in-competant as an umpire. In my 3rd game things finally "clicked" and I really felt like an umpire, although a rookie, I felt as if I could do an adequate job. If you love "hanging out at the ballpark", and love coaching, and love the kids, I know you will become an excellent umpire, I would call with you anytime!