The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I fully understand Mike's concern, if heating up a bat would make it perform beyond it's ratings, and not just up to it.

Which begs the next question: Do testing facilities ever test at different temperatures? I'm guessing they don't.
You missed my point.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It's not dangerous because the bat would be at the same temperature it would be on a normal 90 degree day.

Or is playing on a 90 degree day dangerous?
Warming a bat to 90 degrees doesn't equate it to being played in 90-degree weather.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Begs the question is not the same as "makes me wonder" or "raises the question". Begs the question actually begs a specific question, one cannot just make up any old question that is being begged. The question that is being begged is "what is the support for your argument?"

Begs the question is used when an argument is circular and makes no sense or is invalid.

Person 1: "This food is tasty because it is delicious."
Person 2: "That begs the question."

Tasty and delicious basically mean the same thing. Saying that something is tasty because it is delicious is not a valid argument. This begs the question. Person 1 must better support their argument about why the food is tasty.
I beg your pardon.

(I wonder what your plate conferences are like)
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think it should be perfectly legal....

... Only if I can use it in between innings to warm my hands on a cold day when I have the plate. Other than that they should be illegal....
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Warming a bat to 90 degrees doesn't equate it to being played in 90-degree weather.
You're right. A bat in 90-degree weather would be much warmer than 90 degrees.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure your answer would be different if your son were a catcher or umpire, and an ice cold metal bat were be swung in front of their face.
With all due respect, your inference is irrelevant. Living in the Chicago suburbs, our seasons begin cold. He faces cold bats all of the time and is learning how to respond to balls hit from them. If a bat has been artificially warmed on such a day, the bat will react differently. That IS what the companies show in their studies, after all...and why they are considered illegal for HS baseball, where safety rules the day.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:59am.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It's not dangerous because the bat would be at the same temperature it would be on a normal 90 degree day.

Or is playing on a 90 degree day dangerous?
No Rich, you are mistaken. Bats should respond the same way given ambient temperatures. Warming one with artificial means in order to induce an advantage (we know that it does) is not fair play.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I beg your pardon.

(I wonder what your plate conferences are like)
Using "begs the question" improperly is just one of those common grammatical glitches, like saying, "I could care less", when you really mean, "I couldn't care less". Google the phrase. You'll find more than you ever wanted to know about it's usage.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Using "begs the question" improperly is just one of those common grammatical glitches, like saying, "I could care less", when you really mean, "I couldn't care less". Google the phrase. You'll find more than you ever wanted to know about it's usage.
Irregardless, I still want to know what his plate conferences are like.

(yeah, I know)

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 12:00pm.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irregardless...
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
It goes without saying, you know.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Same difference.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Honest coach.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 08:09pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
With all due respect, your inference is irrelevant. Living in the Chicago suburbs, our seasons begin cold. He faces cold bats all of the time and is learning how to respond to balls hit from them. If a bat has been artificially warmed on such a day, the bat will react differently. That IS what the companies show in their studies, after all...and why they are considered illegal for HS baseball, where safety rules the day.
It depends how cold it actually is. I play softball from the beginning of February to the end of October in Texas. When the weather is cooler, not cold, the air is thinner here, the ball will fly further, and with more velocity than in the hot, hot summer months. Most ball fields around here are bottom land (land that is close to rivers and creeks), and generally not used for development. Bat manufacturers recommend not to use some bats below a certain temperature. The reason, bats will become harder (contract), and become brittle which increases the chances of the bat breaking. A bat warmer will maybe/maybe not make the bat less susceptible to breaking. I think it is more of a gimmick, than an advantage to a hitter. Excessive heat will make a bat expand, thus more susceptible to breakage, also.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
When the weather is cooler, not cold, the air is thinner here,
Uh, no.