The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   batwarmer (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/86640-batwarmer.html)

onetime1 Wed Jan 25, 2012 04:33pm

batwarmer

ASA Approved Bat Warmer Sleeve Official Site By PYROFLITE Microwaveable Bat Warmer

So are we saying this contraption is legal or illegal for NFHS baseball play in the spring of 2012?

etn_ump Wed Jan 25, 2012 04:41pm

Artificial bat warming devices are illegal in FED baseball.

onetime1 Wed Jan 25, 2012 04:56pm

Well this device calls itself "natural" and "ficial" which I think are both the opposite of artificial. So is it legal then?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 25, 2012 05:58pm

illegal

johnnyg08 Wed Jan 25, 2012 06:16pm

Bat warmer = illegal...

RKBUmp Wed Jan 25, 2012 06:19pm

If the website is still claiming they are ASA approved they would be wrong. Batwarmers were illegal in ASA, then for a couple of years they allowed them, then after further testing they determined they did alter the hitting characteristics of the bat and they were outlawed again for 2012.

EsqUmp Wed Jan 25, 2012 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 816661)
Well this device calls itself "natural" and "ficial" which I think are both the opposite of artificial. So is it legal then?

If the warming was "natural" then they wouldn't need a device. I have contacted the manufacturer and asked for paperwork from ASA with respect to their certification of this device. ASA, of course, isn't binding on Federation Baseball. I will note, however, that the 2012 ASA rule change appears to specifically prohibit this device.

jicecone Wed Jan 25, 2012 09:07pm

Quote:

The rule reads 1-3-5," No artficial or intentional means shall be used to control the temperature of the bat."

It certainly seems to me that if your going to heat a bag or whatever in the microwave and put the bat in it, it is not because you you love your bat so much you want it to have a warm feeling about you.

Then again, I have seen some strange things.

etn_ump Thu Jan 26, 2012 06:35am

Quote:

well this device calls itself "natural" and "ficial" which i think are both the opposite of artificial. So is it legal then?

no!

mbyron Thu Jan 26, 2012 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 816708)
If the warming was "natural" then they wouldn't need a device.

Exactly. The only natural bat warmer is the player's body heat.

john5396 Thu Jan 26, 2012 08:47am

According to an email from the state office here in NC, Interpreters have been instructed that placing bats on the tin roof of the dugout is intentionally warming the bat and makes the bat illegal. So this device is clearly illegal for NFHS.

Rich Ives Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5396 (Post 816769)
According to an email from the state office here in NC, Interpreters have been instructed that placing bats on the tin roof of the dugout is intentionally warming the bat . . . .

And just leaning them on the fence in the sun isn't?

kylejt Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 816768)
Exactly. The only natural bat warmer is the player's body heat.

I'd say letting them sit in the sun is pretty natural. I had my kids either sit on the barrels, or keep them under their arm pits on cold nights. For day games, I made sure they were in the direct sunlight.

dash_riprock Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43am

There are several places the coach can stick his bat that I would consider legal. At least one of them would likely result in the bat becoming warmer.

RPatrino Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09pm

And I have silently made that recommendation to players and coaches alike!!