The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Just remember, if everything about baseball was perfect at every level, we wouldn't need this forum.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO TEACH YOUTH TODAY:

Enjoy what you do, play hard and fair and always respect the rules and your opponents.

We all ready have way too many whinners in sports as it is.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
On 60' base's yes, however on 70' base's you have a game again. As far as I know, LL is the only league still playing 60' base's only, while every other league, PONY, Dixie, Cal Ripken, USSSA, AABC all allow/play 70' base's with leading off and stealing. I've heard LL is looking at expanding to the 70' base path, they just need to take the plunge and do it. It's a better game overall.
LL has had a 70' trial for a couple of years now. From what I've gathered from around the web not many leagues are even trying it. I know none in our area are, not even the independents.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Pony baseball has been around for a very long time, and Little League obviously doesn't see it as a threat to their program, or they would have changed their rules to allow a more 'realistic' baseball experience.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Let me answer the next question

"You mean to tell me if a kid gets one foot from home plate, then turns around, runs 59 feet back to third, and dives in head first, that's okay?"

Yup.

"That makes no sense"

Yup.
3rd world...
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
LL has had a 70' trial for a couple of years now. From what I've gathered from around the web not many leagues are even trying it. I know none in our area are, not even the independents.
True Rich, yet, if you ask those same leagues board members who have kids playing, many will tell you they have their kid playing on a tournament team playing on 70' bases. At least in my area, the growth in travel teams playing 70' bases grows every year. We're seeing a continual increase in the amount of tournament teams for these kids grow every year. They are losing numbers, it's just a matter of time before they become converts.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:59am
In Time Out

Quote:

I remember Mickey Mantle's roommate on the Yankees telling me how stupid it was that players slid in fingers first to a base, as he crushed many a digit playing second. But what did he know?
I don't think Billy Martin was ever Mickey's room mate. Just a big drinking buddy. Why they traded him to Kansas City.

On a side note, Martin was probably more approachable when he was drunk, than not. Hard to talk to somebody with a chronic hangover, and a sociopathic personality.

I played some adult ball with his son, Billy, Jr. for a couple of years. He dished a little of the dirt on dad a few times. Nothing to write home about.

I've also gotten some umpire musings of Billy from a few old AL umpires. Those storys are worse.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Pony baseball has been around for a very long time, and Little League obviously doesn't see it as a threat to their program, or they would have changed their rules to allow a more 'realistic' baseball experience.
You nailed it, however, I would reword you sentence as follows.

Quote:
Pony baseball has been around for a very long time, and Little League obviously doesn't see it as a threat to their program, Substitute the word SHOW for program

LL has their "show" televisd on ESPN and ABC. Until the ratings are effected no changes will be made.

IMO, Ripken has a "shot" because of the name but LL still has a good contract with ESPN / ABC.

IMO, without the "show" LL would be real down in numbers and be forced to change to compete.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Well, Little League made a major change to their rules for the upcoming year that will be noticeable all the way up to the "show." They have adopted the uncaught third strike rule we see at every other level of baseball.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

LL Rule Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
Well, Little League made a major change to their rules for the upcoming year that will be noticeable all the way up to the "show." They have adopted the uncaught third strike rule we see at every other level of baseball.
Can you post the link to the rule change?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Bulletin: Significant Policy, Rule, and Regulation Changes for 2012
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7.08(a)(4), on top of page 83 (first paragraph), it states: "Any runner is out...(4) Tee Ball, Little League Majors and Minors only: the runner slides head first while advancing."

Appendix B (towards the back of the rule book), there is a bullet that states, "Except when runner is returning to a base, head first slides are not permitted. This applies only to Little League (Majors), Minor League and Tee Ball."

This is out of the 2012 rule book.

Regina Boyd
Washington D1 Umpire
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yikes!

I've been working at my local LL park for the last 17 years. Some rules are dopey, but most are based around an average kid playing the game.

The trouble is, of course, no parent thinks they have an average kid. Thus, the stupid rules about wearing helmets, throat protectors, no big barrel bats or metal cleats, no bowling over the catcher, etc.

I remember Mickey Mantle's roommate on the Yankees telling me how stupid it was that players slid in fingers first to a base, as he crushed many a digit playing second. But what did he know?

I know, it's not real baseball. But real baseball is played with wooded bats, 90 foot basepaths, with metal cleats, and full contact at the plate. Everything else is played with age, size and skill level taken into consideration.
Very well put.

Rita
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Rita.

BTW, the roommate of Mickey's I was referring to is Jerry Coleman. He's still a radio announcer for the Padres, and still an opponent of the head first slide. His biggest complaint is that you can't get up quickly, and get to the next base when you're flat on your stomach. That, and he got to squash a lot of fingers playing F4 in the Bronx. To him, the risk was not worth the benefit, if there were any to begin with. And that's always been debatable.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 07:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I liked to slide head first because I would get raspberries on my a$$ so instead I took my scabs to my arms...I hardly never had an opportunity to advance after a head first slide, so me to not slide head first because I might not be able to get up and advance was not something I considered because the chances were very, very slim of a ball going through far enough in the first place. YMMV. I realize that this is a LL thread so it's more of a safety rule for the kids which is something I support.