The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Please help me with the following.

In a USSSA game, the runner does not slide at second and, therefore, a throw is not made to first. However, there was no chance of making the out at first because B/R had already reached the base. With regards to the slide/avoid rule, should the B/R have been called out because of what happened at second base?

Thx...

Luis
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

I don't know what rules code USSSA plays under for sure. I believe it's OBR with only a few modifications.

If they use OBR rules, unless R2 had intent to interfere with a throw, then no, the BR would not be called out.

If this were a game played under FED rules, then yes, R2 has violated the FPSR and the BR is called out as well.

Tim.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

U-trip plays under OBR. There is no out on BR in this situation. Unless, this was an intentional attempt to interfere with the throw. I doubt seriously that was the case, but don't know without being there. No chance to get the runner any way, I wouldn't look to get the BR called out on this.

This really doesn't come under the slide or avoid rule, either. The question seems more geared at the FED FPSR, which does not exist in U-trip (OBR).
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Originally posted by Monguila

In a USSSA game, the runner does not slide at second and, therefore, a throw is not made to first. However, there was no chance of making the out at first because B/R had already reached the base. With regards to the slide/avoid rule, should the B/R have been called out because of what happened at second base?

Thx...

Luis
Was R1 interfering with either the possibility of or an attempted throw? Whther B/R was already at first may make nodifference, for instance, the infielder might have wanted to make a throw in case B/R tried to make an advance to 2B or would return to the base and lead off not paying attention F3 had the ball. Seen both things happen.
Would this not occur after a pause in the action (rather slight relaxation period, granted)? Thus causing the attempted throw to 1B to be a "new" play? Or are you referring to this all happening at once. IE - Throw to F4, turn to "make play" on BR. The DP is not possible from the initial playing action. Would there not be some hesitation prior to the throw to 1B?

I see your point - I just see a relaxation in the playing action that would alleviate the INT. Unless, of course R1 has now moved into such a position as to INT with the "new" play.

[/B][/QUOTE]
The slide/avoid rule is subject to R being tagged only and the choices are slide (with contact) or avoid contact all together. Did R1 observe this rule?

The answer to the questions above will resolve a determination for you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Doesn't appear he slid (by what is written). No application of the rule. Agreed?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ManInBlue
Quote:
Quote:

Thx...

Luis
Was R1 interfering with either the possibility of or an attempted throw? Whther B/R was already at first may make no difference, for instance, the infielder might have wanted to make a throw in case B/R tried to make an advance to 2B or would return to the base and lead off not paying attention F3 had the ball. Seen both things happen.
Would this not occur after a pause in the action (rather slight relaxation period, granted)? Thus causing the attempted throw to 1B to be a "new" play? Or are you referring to this all happening at once. IE - Throw to F4, turn to "make play" on BR. The DP is not possible from the initial playing action. Would there not be some hesitation prior to the throw to 1B?

I see your point - I just see a relaxation in the playing action that would alleviate the INT. Unless, of course R1 has now moved into such a position as to INT with the "new" play.

The slide/avoid rule is subject to R being tagged only and the choices are slide (with contact) or avoid contact all together. Did R1 observe this rule?

The answer to the questions above will resolve a determination for you.
Doesn't appear he slid (by what is written). No application of the rule. Agreed? [/B][/QUOTE]

As to relaxation, possible, we don't know, judgmental, as to avoiding contact, no mention was made of contact and no mention of a slide. Looks like R1 is cool there.

Back on the possible R2 interference, which is a separate issue to S/A, if he interfered, B now R is out. [/B][/QUOTE]

Agreed.

But the INT is completely judgemental (at this point in discussion anyway)- HTBT - no way to call it from the cheap seats.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thx...

Luis
First off, there is no "must slide" under any of the current 3 rule books (OBR, NCAA or FED).

Second, B1 was safe at first by his own actions.

Third, you ask "With regards to the slide/avoid rule, should the B/R have been called out because of what happened at second base?" Did R1 interfere with the fielder's throw to first?

The theory of "slide or avoid" has the gross misconception that a runner has to slide no matter what. I like the FED rendition that states that "a runner does not have to slide but if he chooses to slide, it must be a legal slide". The FED then goes on to state what is a legal slide.

A runner can go into a base standing up and as long as there is no interference, that's legal! By the same token, R1 can be charging to 2nd and F6 turning the play when R1 performes a legal slide but over slides the base and makes contact with F6 - that's interference!
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

The runner simply did not slide, for he was out by about 4 steps. The coach argued that, because R did not slide, a throw could not have been made to 1B. The runner was in fact between the F2 and 1B, in the proper base line. However, there was no intent whatsoever on his part.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

........."It is the base runner's responsibility to avoid contact with the fielder when he has the ball. Slide or avoid is in effect at all times when fielder is in possession of ball......"

That is from the USSSA website rules section.
It goes on to say if it is intentional, you may eject.
So....he didnt slide, and he didnt avoid. Sometimes ya just gotta umpire. Go with what you see, and if it looks like interference, to you, call it. You have the aforementioned rule reference to back you up.
Maybe in your scenario, call it. Without having seen the play, if you dont call it, it sets a precedent, at least for the rest of that game. The teams now think they may be able to go in like that on any play.
At that level, call that stuff early, USSSA being a youth league, has that safety stuff in place. And coach wont have much to argue your point with.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckfan1
........."It is the base runner's responsibility to avoid contact with the fielder when he has the ball. Slide or avoid is in effect at all times when fielder is in possession of ball......"

That is from the USSSA website rules section.
It goes on to say if it is intentional, you may eject.
So....he didnt slide, and he didnt avoid. Sometimes ya just gotta umpire. Go with what you see, and if it looks like interference, to you, call it. You have the aforementioned rule reference to back you up.
Maybe in your scenario, call it. Without having seen the play, if you dont call it, it sets a precedent, at least for the rest of that game. The teams now think they may be able to go in like that on any play.
At that level, call that stuff early, USSSA being a youth league, has that safety stuff in place. And coach wont have much to argue your point with.

Where did you find that? This is what I found:

8.03.F Whenever a tag play is evident, runners must slide or seek to avoid contact with the fielder. Malicious contact shall supersede all obstruction penalties.
PENALTY: Runner shall be declared out and may be ejected from the game at the umpire’s discretion.
NOTE: When enforcing this rule, the umpire should judge the runner’s intent. If the umpire feels that the contact was unintentional, then the runner should only be declared out. If the umpire feels that the contact was intentional and / or malicious, then the runner should be declared
out and ejected.

Note that

1) It refe4rs to tag plays, not force plays.
2) It does NOT require a slide, only a choice of sliding or seeking to avoid contact.

A search reveals that it is the only instance of the word "slide" in their book.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.baseballfirst.com rules section
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckfan1
http://www.baseballfirst.com rules section
Well, that's nice.

Somehow though, I think looking up the USSSA rules at http://www.usssabaseball.org, as I did, will yield a better answer.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:09pm

The coaches need to teach those middle infielders at a young age that if the runner doesn't slide or run out of the baseline to avoid interfering with the throw, to chuck it right at their melon. They will soon learn to "slide or avoid" whenever they are forced and a play is made on them.

This is how we learned the game, so what is the sense in babying the youth of today? Ever see a big leaguer come in standing up when the fielder is at the bag turning the routine DP?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
The coaches need to teach those middle infielders at a young age that if the runner doesn't slide or run out of the baseline to avoid interfering with the throw, to chuck it right at their melon.
To quote a sage, this ties for the dumbest post on the internet. Who's going to pay those coaches' legal bills - you?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coaches need to teach those middle infielders at a young age that if the runner doesn't slide or run out of the baseline to avoid interfering with the throw, to chuck it right at their melon. They will soon learn to "slide or avoid" whenever they are forced and a play is made on them.

This is how we learned the game, so what is the sense in babying the youth of today? Ever see a big leaguer come in standing up when the fielder is at the bag turning the routine DP?
WOW, Did I really read what I think I just read?
Gee, SDS, you sound more like a Rat Coach (read: blithering idiot) than an umpire!
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This is how we learned the game, so what is the sense in babying the youth of today?
Child abuse used to be okay, too. Whitey Ford "pitched" cigarettes that helped him win games. Ty Cobb sharpened his spikes and aimed high.

Ahhhhh. The good old days.