The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Little League rule-head first slide

1) Can someone tell me what the penalty for Little Jimmy if he does a Pete Rose into 3rd base on a triple?
2) THis seems to indicate that headfirst is ok going back to a base.

I found this quoted elsewhere.

Rule 7.08 (a3 & a4) Sliding
• A runner must slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and
is waiting to make the tag.
• A runner is not permitted to head first slide while advancing.

I understand that headfirst sliding is prohibited and I will make sure my kid does not do it. I am curious if this is one of those "house rules" thrown in there without any thought and they forgot to put in a sanction.

Thanks,
Joe
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:26pm
Stop staring at me swan.

No idea, but I do know that head first slides are more dangerous and LL is pretty safety conscious so it probably is a rule.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Little Jimmy is out if he slides head first while advancing to a base.

This is not a house rule. If it happens at Williamsport or at any LL the penalty is the same. This is the rule only from Majors (12 year olds) on down.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Rich,

Do you have the whole text of the rule available?

Joe
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Little League rule-head first slide

7.08 -- Any runner is out when -
(a) (1) running more than three feet away from his/her baseline to avoid being tagged, unless such action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base which he/she is attempting to reach; or
(2) after touching first base the runner leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning all effort to touch the next base; or
(3) the runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag; or
(4) the runner slides head first while advancing.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS: This rule does not apply when a runner is returning to a base, only when advancing to a base. Any runner who does a headfirst slide is out at the moment the umpire sees the runner go into the headfirst slide. The ball remains alive and in play and runners may advance at their own risk and plays may be attempted on any other runners. If the runner who is called out for sliding headfirst has been forced to advance by the batter-runner this will be a force out and no runs will score if this is the third out of the inning. In all other instances the headfirst slide will be a timing play when there are two outs.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Let me answer the next question

"You mean to tell me if a kid gets one foot from home plate, then turns around, runs 59 feet back to third, and dives in head first, that's okay?"

Yup.

"That makes no sense"

Yup.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I think the rule is stupid. I have been involved in baseball all my life as a player and coach and I have seen a LOT of injuries from feet first slides and some from head first.

I think it is the coach's job.

I have not been around Little League since I played it nearly 40 years ago. I think that 12 year olds playing on a 60' bases with no leadoffs is remarkably stupid, as well.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes!

I've been working at my local LL park for the last 17 years. Some rules are dopey, but most are based around an average kid playing the game.

The trouble is, of course, no parent thinks they have an average kid. Thus, the stupid rules about wearing helmets, throat protectors, no big barrel bats or metal cleats, no bowling over the catcher, etc.

I remember Mickey Mantle's roommate on the Yankees telling me how stupid it was that players slid in fingers first to a base, as he crushed many a digit playing second. But what did he know?

I know, it's not real baseball. But real baseball is played with wooded bats, 90 foot basepaths, with metal cleats, and full contact at the plate. Everything else is played with age, size and skill level taken into consideration.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoDad View Post
I think the rule is stupid. I have been involved in baseball all my life as a player and coach and I have seen a LOT of injuries from feet first slides and some from head first.

I have not been around Little League since I played it nearly 40 years ago. I think that 12 year olds playing on a 60' bases with no leadoffs is remarkably stupid, as well.
So you think it's better that a walk is essentially a triple?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Rich,

My kid is 12 and a pretty good player but not a phenom at all.

He played catcher last year on a team(with 70' bases and leadoffs) and threw some kids out at second base. He threw a lot of kids out at third. Base on Balls were not triples against us.

If it is rec ball, I guess I could see them using the softball rule of staying on the base until the pitcher lets go of the ball....but no running until the ball gets home? That seems weird. I have not seen it in person so, I am going to see it this year because Little League is what is here.

Our only other option that I could find was the teams playing a tournament every single weekend. I think that is too much for a kid this age and I simply do not have that kind of money, either.

Joe
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Play by the rules now sir. At this age, it really doesn't matter. Really, it doesn't.

He has the rest of his life to learn a head first slide.

Every kid in the country who plays this level, even the ones way better than your son abide by the same rule set at this type of ball. If all you're concerned about is the slide rule then you should be in for a very fun year. Enjoy it for what it is, they grow up too fast.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure you've seen a lot more players doing feet-first slides than head-first, too.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So don't get involved in Little League

There are other organizations in the Orlando area.
Find one that you don't think is stupid.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Rule: Head First Slide

I not the one that first said it but to paraphase:

If you want everyone to play with safety in mind, go to Little League. If you want to play baseball, go elsewhere.

Your choice. Depending on your choice, don't whine about it.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
So you think it's better that a walk is essentially a triple?
On 60' base's yes, however on 70' base's you have a game again. As far as I know, LL is the only league still playing 60' base's only, while every other league, PONY, Dixie, Cal Ripken, USSSA, AABC all allow/play 70' base's with leading off and stealing. I've heard LL is looking at expanding to the 70' base path, they just need to take the plunge and do it. It's a better game overall.