The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Astros/Cubs HR reversed

2 out, bottom of the 8th, R1 with Cubs losing 3-2. Batter hits opposite field drive to LF that hits off the edge of the basket and rebounds to the field. It was initially called a HR but on review reversed and runners placed at 2nd and 3rd. The runner might well have scored and Quade argued that point.

Again, the point is that if a ball at a barrier call ends up back on the field, why not just keep it in play so the runners can determine the bases they might attain? They can always be sent home on reversal. That would be a reasonable mechanic.

As luck would have it, the score reverts to 3-2 Astros and the game goes into rain delay at the end of 8. If this was in a pennant race, it would truly be epic. I don't know if there has been a HR review that reversed a walk-off. This one came very close, especially if it is called now.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 04:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Let me guess: The biggest bozo in MLB got ejected yet again.

I wonder how long it took for Cubs ownership to privately regret hiring that clown.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2011, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quade got ejected. Probably for arguing that the runner should have been awarded home Looking at the replay, it was a line drive that got there in a hurry and F7 recovered it very quickly, so it is doubtful R1 would have scored. Both runners may have been slowing down even before the HR signal was given.

The replay system seemed to work fairly smoothly at first. Now it seems there is a good chance for an obligatory ejection.

ETA: it was Quade's 7th ejection which ties the club record that dates back to 1913 (Evers) and 1950 (Frankie Frisch). I think he's got what it takes to break it.

Last edited by Larry1953; Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 05:28pm.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I wonder how long it took for Cubs ownership to privately regret hiring that clown.
Much longer than it took for lifetime Cubs fans to openly regret it.

Tim.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Again, the point is that if a ball at a barrier call ends up back on the field, why not just keep it in play so the runners can determine the bases they might attain?
Because the umpires still aren't used to using replay to help them in these calls.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Because the umpires still aren't used to using replay to help them in these calls.
There seems to be a notion that replay won't be used unless and until the concerned manager comes out to argue. About a third of replays result in reversal. One would think at that rate a crew might go immediately to replay but that does not appear the working mechanic.