The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Astros/Cubs HR reversed (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/80719-astros-cubs-hr-reversed.html)

Larry1953 Sun Sep 18, 2011 04:22pm

Astros/Cubs HR reversed

2 out, bottom of the 8th, R1 with Cubs losing 3-2. Batter hits opposite field drive to LF that hits off the edge of the basket and rebounds to the field. It was initially called a HR but on review reversed and runners placed at 2nd and 3rd. The runner might well have scored and Quade argued that point.

Again, the point is that if a ball at a barrier call ends up back on the field, why not just keep it in play so the runners can determine the bases they might attain? They can always be sent home on reversal. That would be a reasonable mechanic.

As luck would have it, the score reverts to 3-2 Astros and the game goes into rain delay at the end of 8. If this was in a pennant race, it would truly be epic. I don't know if there has been a HR review that reversed a walk-off. This one came very close, especially if it is called now.

Rich Sun Sep 18, 2011 04:49pm

Let me guess: The biggest bozo in MLB got ejected yet again.

I wonder how long it took for Cubs ownership to privately regret hiring that clown.

Larry1953 Sun Sep 18, 2011 05:12pm

Quade got ejected. Probably for arguing that the runner should have been awarded home Looking at the replay, it was a line drive that got there in a hurry and F7 recovered it very quickly, so it is doubtful R1 would have scored. Both runners may have been slowing down even before the HR signal was given.

The replay system seemed to work fairly smoothly at first. Now it seems there is a good chance for an obligatory ejection.

ETA: it was Quade's 7th ejection which ties the club record that dates back to 1913 (Evers) and 1950 (Frankie Frisch). I think he's got what it takes to break it.

BigUmp56 Mon Sep 19, 2011 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 788255)
I wonder how long it took for Cubs ownership to privately regret hiring that clown.

Much longer than it took for lifetime Cubs fans to openly regret it.

Tim.

kylejt Mon Sep 19, 2011 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry1953 (Post 788254)
Again, the point is that if a ball at a barrier call ends up back on the field, why not just keep it in play so the runners can determine the bases they might attain?

Because the umpires still aren't used to using replay to help them in these calls.

Larry1953 Mon Sep 19, 2011 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 788457)
Because the umpires still aren't used to using replay to help them in these calls.

There seems to be a notion that replay won't be used unless and until the concerned manager comes out to argue. About a third of replays result in reversal. One would think at that rate a crew might go immediately to replay but that does not appear the working mechanic.