The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ball and Balk

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@ATL: Umpire calls balk on Gorzelanny's movement - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

If I'm understanding this clip right the Ump tried to warn F1 about not wiping. When the warning wasn't taken receptively they balked the runners over and ball foured the BR to 1B.
The violation in itself looked like only a violation of 8.02(a)1 which is only penalized by a ball.
But the umps may have escalated the violation to that of applying a foreign substance to the ball and thus been able to penalize per 8.02(a)6(d) which allows a ball and a balk.
BUT,I thought we had previously concluded that the wording of this penalty did not really mean to apply both a ball and balk together.

Edited to add: Or maybe it was just ball four and the announcers and MLB.com thought it was a balk that moved the runners over instead of ball four.
I'll have to check the box score.

Last edited by umpjim; Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 06:17pm.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it was ball 4 you can see 3-1 count in sub screen. Other two runners advanced on being forced on the walk. No balk called..
Also a good call you can see him go to his mouth (1:26 mark) then straight to the ball while standing on the mound.

Last edited by umpjong; Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 09:44pm.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Checked the box and only a ball was called. I think the confusion came from all the delay calling the ball and awarding 1B. BTW, who gets to call the automatic ball if a field ump calls the illegal pitch? I thought the umpire calling the violation would call the violation, time if no pitch was thrown, and then award the ball. That shouldn't have taken that much time in this sit.*
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I though in addition to calling the failure to wipe a "ball"; therefore, Ball 4 in this case, the umpire would request a new ball to put into play. Or is this "over the top?"
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 12:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I though in addition to calling the failure to wipe a "ball"; therefore, Ball 4 in this case, the umpire would request a new ball to put into play. Or is this "over the top?"
Not over the top. The umpire would likely just put a new ball in play to avoid the perception of a possible spitter. I'm sure if he didn't, the next batter would probably request one that's not "loaded up."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I think at the end of the clip you see the PU walk up to F1 and swap out the balls.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2011, 11:47pm
In Time Out

I used to see a college pitcher lick his fingers right after he delivered the pitch. The catcher threw the ball back and he grabbed the ball from the glove without wiping. I don't think he was loading one up. Just a habit that nobody ever noticed.