The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 07:49am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
NFHS rules:

Runner on first, pitcher goes right from mouth to ball on the mound, but not in contact with the rubber. I was pretty sure that this was still a balk, my partner informed me that it was a ball to the batter because the pitcher was not in contact with the rubber. I missed the pitchers actions so my partner called it.

I thinnk this is all the information you will need. If I am missing anything let me know.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

In FED ball the pitcher must clearly wipe off hand before going to the ball...whether or not he is engaged with the rubber.

The penalty is an "illegal pitch"...if it is delivered.

(6-2-1e)

The penalty listed in the book states that if the ball is pitched, it is an illegal pitch, otherwise you have the authority to eject the pitcher for "defacing the ball".

Unless he delivered the pitch though, you've got no penalty. If he did deliver the pitch, its declared "illegal" and is treated like a balk...no ball added. (2-18)

This is different then FED softball where BOTH consequences, runners move up and a ball is added for any illegal pitch.

[Edited by blueump on May 17th, 2005 at 09:16 AM]
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:20am
I drank what?

So it was a balk as soon as the pitch would have been delivered and we should have advanced the runner one base.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
So it was a balk as soon as the pitch would have been delivered and we should have advanced the runner one base.
Yes, but I would have killed the play as soon as I saw him not wipe it off the first time...then go warn him that defacing the ball would not be tolerated. The next time, let him deliver the pitch, then call the balk!

May not be what others do, just usually how I handle it.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:20am
I drank what?

My partner did warn him the first time and then called the "ball" the second time before the pitcher ever touched the rubber or delivered the pitch. I went out and said that since we had a runner on base that it should be a balk and we need to advance the runner to second. He told me that since he was on the mound and not it contact with the rubber that it was a ball. It sounded wrong to me but I went with it since he made the call and I wasn't 100% sure. I work with him again tonight, I'll be sure to let him know.

I am going to start another thread about another call this same partner made in the same game if you care to check it out.