The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I also think it looks intentional. I also don't think it would be terrible hard to convince people it was intentional.

I see tossing the catcher, after all it's his (in)action that's the cause of this. Why, however, do we assume the pitcher had any part in it? For all we know, the catcher did call for the fastball in and the pitcher threw it in good faith that his catcher would do his job. Likewise with the coach. Unless you'd issued a warning to both teams a la intentionally throwing at a batter I don't see dumping the HC and even then I don't see dumping the pitcher who is an unwitting participant. After all, we don't dump the catcher when the pitcher throws at someone.
They sent a message to him now he can send one back. Ejection of the catcher, pitcher, head coach, shortstop, 2 bench players, and the scorekeeper might, just might be enough of a message if it ever happens to me.

And sometimes, yes the catcher goes when the pitcher throws at someone. Tolerance of these things at the amateur level is unacceptable.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Not the first time for something like this has happened...
Catcher Ducks, Umpire Gets Hit With Pitch - YouTube
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
They sent a message to him now he can send one back. Ejection of the catcher, pitcher, head coach, shortstop, 2 bench players, and the scorekeeper might, just might be enough of a message if it ever happens to me.

And sometimes, yes the catcher goes when the pitcher throws at someone. Tolerance of these things at the amateur level is unacceptable.
Why not the batter too? That pitch was GROOVED - he must have been in on it too to not swing at that one.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_UMP View Post
I think that's why the topic is "Another Crossed-Up Catcher".
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:52am
Veteran College Umpire

I'd have dumped the pitcher, catcher, and HC, and then I would have left. Maybe make an ER visit and get my friendly doctor to note that I wouldn't be able to do any writing for awhile (if I got hit on the hand as suggested here). Then I'd have started typing my ejection reports while the nice officer was writing HIS report. And I'd make sure every umpire in the area knew about what the team had done as well...

JJ
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_UMP View Post
That's the video I remember seeing a couple of years ago.

Video in OP definitely intentional, especially after the pitcher and catcher had obviously disagreed with the previous pitch. Top that off with that particular team having a reputation in the area (GREAT team, but terrible whiners in the rare instance they are losing), you've got an EJed pitcher, catcher, and manager if he says a word in protest.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I'd have dumped the pitcher, catcher, and HC, and then I would have left. Maybe make an ER visit and get my friendly doctor to note that I wouldn't be able to do any writing for awhile (if I got hit on the hand as suggested here). Then I'd have started typing my ejection reports while the nice officer was writing HIS report. And I'd make sure every umpire in the area knew about what the team had done as well...

JJ
Nah, don't leave.

Shake it off and finish the game.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with JJ, except for the police report. Dump the battery mates, HC and anyone who crosses the line while you are making notes of your ejections on the back of your score card/line ups. I don't see a need to include the police on this, though. Proving intent is pretty difficult plus it will just waste time dragging through the system. It may be far better to simply alert the league, your assignor and fellow umpires about this event. My assignors aren't going to put up with target practice for their stables and colleagues won't work games featuring those clowns. Dump 'em and walk away. No ump, no game.