Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Cooler, better protection.

A little lost in mobility, but if used properly, it's not a big deal.

You can get the same look at the strike zone as with the inside protector.

The problems are travelling (to the extent they are foam pads and not inflatable balloons) and windy days.
That makes sense. You don't have to worry much about mobility on a small field with a six-man crew.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

You can get the same look at the strike zone as with the inside protector.
That wasn't my experience. The balloon does not allow for the same heel toe set up in the slot. You'll also get some disagreement from the pro school on that.

On the other hand, one could argue that while it isn't the same, in might be as good.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:07am

I know a softball guy who exclusively uses a balloon. He had a catastrophic injury to one of his arms years ago and there's hardly any meat on that forearm. It's basically skin covering bone. His doctors have told him he cannot get hit there, or it's bad news, so he's gone to the balloon.

Unfortunately, he's been told he won't work any state or national tournaments because he uses the balloon. Seems to me that's a reasonable accomodation for the results of a catastrophic injury.

You never know why someone might be using a balloon-style protector.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I know a softball guy who exclusively uses a balloon. He had a catastrophic injury to one of his arms years ago and there's hardly any meat on that forearm. It's basically skin covering bone. His doctors have told him he cannot get hit there, or it's bad news, so he's gone to the balloon.

Unfortunately, he's been told he won't work any state or national tournaments because he uses the balloon. Seems to me that's a reasonable accomodation for the results of a catastrophic injury.

You never know why someone might be using a balloon-style protector.
Maybe, but how we look is often the reason we advance or do not get opportunities. That is not going to change just because the guy you described has a good reason to use one.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 01:22pm
Administrator

Aug. 22/Mon., 2011 at 02:15pmEDT.

I turned on the Canada vs. Chinese-Tiapei game at 02:15pm, and the PU is wearing a balloon. The PU appears to be a female. Got to run.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

The balloon surprised me. So did the "devil horns" when flashing the count (a 2-2 count meant "double devil horns"!) and the pointing to first base when ball four was issued (and I only watched a few minutes of this game). It just seems like any umpire that's been around the block a time or two, bothered to attend a clinic, read an umpire manual or ever been evaluated would realize that we're not supposed to do that stuff.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 08:18pm
Administrator

I know that this is a minor point but it really doesn't bother me when a PU points toward 1B after a Ball 4. After all the Batter is awarded 1B when the pitch is Ball 4 and we do point to 1B when the Batter is HBP or a throw or pitch goes into Dead Ball Territory we point to the appropriate base. I think this is nit picking.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I know that this is a minor point but it really doesn't bother me when a PU points toward 1B after a Ball 4. After all the Batter is awarded 1B when the pitch is Ball 4 and we do point to 1B when the Batter is HBP or a throw or pitch goes into Dead Ball Territory we point to the appropriate base. I think this is nit picking.
There are a million-and-one little things like this that we are told not to do. I guess that your own tolerance level for doing things other than the way we're supposed to determines if it's "nit picky" or "bad mechanics".

Nit picky as it may be...can you find any umpire manual that recommends pointing to first base on a walk or showing the count on non-consecutive fingers? Yet there are plenty out there that say not to.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Great advice for all of the Major League umpires on this forum.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe, but how we look is often the reason we advance or do not get opportunities. That is not going to change just because the guy you described has a good reason to use one.

Peace
JRut:

I understand what you are saying, but when numerous codes are now making allowances (read: leagally bound under the ADA) for disabled players, why wouldn't the same apply to umpires who are disabled? When this guy gets told he is not advancing because of his balloon protector, that is a potential violation of federal law. So the guy's choices are: risk losing his arm in order to move up, or keep his arm and not advance. Doesn't seem like a fair choice given whether or not one uses a balloon protector has no bearing on one's ability to umpire.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejABlu View Post
I ca't find any manuals or instructions which tell MLB umpires to look away from the field with runners on base when they motion a strike or a K but they do it all the time.
I was trained not to look away when runners on base because most of the time I am working two-man mechanics. If the PU looks away, the BU has to cover all bases and runners. In MLB, there is an umpire for every base so you are not leaving the rest of the field for the BU to cover.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
JRut:

I understand what you are saying, but when numerous codes are now making allowances (read: leagally bound under the ADA) for disabled players, why wouldn't the same apply to umpires who are disabled? When this guy gets told he is not advancing because of his balloon protector, that is a potential violation of federal law. So the guy's choices are: risk losing his arm in order to move up, or keep his arm and not advance. Doesn't seem like a fair choice given whether or not one uses a balloon protector has no bearing on one's ability to umpire.
It is not like he has to have to balloon protector to protect his arm either. And this is not an ADA situation as every person with a disability would not be reasonably allowed to umpire or officiate as they could cause harm to other players or themselves. Does he use a protector on the bases too? After all he could get hit there as well. And he is an independent contractor so a lot of decisions he makes about moving up are based on decisions he would have to make. And I am sure working as an umpire is not right, it is a privileged and if a player could not play for such reasons there is only so much accommodation that can be made to allow that player to continue to play as well.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 04:16pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
One of the biggest "discussions" I've ever been involved in was when, with a full count, a plate ump pointed to first base on ball four to indicate the batter should go to first, and the base umpire (me) said "Yes he went".
Go ahead and point, but use the left hand, please after you've distinctly yelled "BALL FOUR". Just sayin'....
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 05:58pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
One of the biggest "discussions" I've ever been involved in was when, with a full count, a plate ump pointed to first base on ball four to indicate the batter should go to first, and the base umpire (me) said "Yes he went".
Go ahead and point, but use the left hand, please after you've distinctly yelled "BALL FOUR". Just sayin'....
I hear ya. That's a pre-game item every time, given the ubiquity of pointers now. I tell them unless I hear "Publius!!" I'm not weighing in on a swing. Just pointing at me don't do it.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

There are several reasons not to point to first on ball four. Can anybody give me one reason why they think it is a good idea? What piece of information are you communicating (communication being the ultimate goal of all the signals we use) to the teams by pointing that simply saying "ball" or "ball four" doesn't relay? I'm assuming that the batter already knows where first base is located and how to get there.

I had the same thing happen to me once that JJ posted above. I'm in "A" position and there are three balls on the batter. Pitch comes in, there is some movement of the bat. Plate umpire points at first (which is to say, he points at me) and, to make it worse, he says, "Too low", (another thing I hate is announcing pitch locations) which 100+ feet away and combined with a point makes me think he said, "Did he go?". And I answer, "Yes he did!"...except it was ball four. Not exactly the kind of confusion that inspires confidence in the teams that you know what the heck you're doing out there...