The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Two Man Mechanics Advice

I hate to admit this, but the truth is that time is catching up with me and I'm not as quick on the bases as I once was. When working two man with no one on base, I'm not getting to where I feel I need to be when I have to take a runner into 3rd base. With a ball hit to deep right, I used to be able to get inside and pivot quickly enough to pick up the ball, see the runner touch first, and slide with the runner to a spot close to the cut out at third to set to make the call. I could get the right angle and not ever get straightlined.

Now, I'm not getting deep enough and have set myself up to get straightlined a number of times. I need some advice as to what is the best spot to strive to get to when you know you're no longer able to get to where you've been accustomed to getting. I don't know if making a shallower pivot is the answer, or making the same pivot and adjusting my line toward the third base line is the way to go. I know I'm not the only one here that has had to make adjustments like this over time.

Tim.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Tim,

Good question. I'd suggest taking a moment to read the batted ball. Once you read triple possibility, you can take a pivot farther towards 2B. While this is not ideal on a ball hit to RF as you mentioned, this farther pivot will cut down some steps and get you turning with the runner while already gaining distance to 3rd, not some more loopy movement of pivoting in the cutout with a runner who is going to end up at 3rd.

Once you've made that pivot, I'd suggest running with your head over your shoulder watching the ball and glancing at the runner rounding 2nd. If he stops, you stop, turn and get ready for the back pick. If not continue to 3rd.

Since the best angle in 2 man is a diagonal from the bag taking the ball over your shoulder like you would a steal play, work on getting to that diagonal of the base and then worry about closing down distance.

If you take the proper steps, you can still get this play right and have alot of credibility at most levels from 20 feet away. 10-13 would be ideal, but sometime we have to do what we know we can do and live with it.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

First thing is to eliminate the pivot and use the "AAA glance" this will help you keep what momentum you have already achieved.

T
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
First thing is to eliminate the pivot and use the "AAA glance" this will help you keep what momentum you have already achieved.

T
MUCH easier on your knees too.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

T
Exactly what I was going to say. Also, you can head directly for third, cutting just behind the mound. If there's going to be a play back into second, stop in the working area and head up in that direction.

Or, just go out on anything that might be a triple -- I'm sure it's a "trouble ball."
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Or else you could always follow what the NFHS umpires manual says...on an extra base hit, take the batter-runner only as far as second base; U1 has him at third. Be alert for the runner returning to second or advancing home on an overthrow at third and cover the plate for U1.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Or else you could always follow what the NFHS umpires manual says...on an extra base hit, take the batter-runner only as far as second base; U1 has him at third. Be alert for the runner returning to second or advancing home on an overthrow at third and cover the plate for U1.
This has to be covered in your pre-game with the other official otherwise you could have a play at third with no umpire to cover. That would not be good.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

T
I'm guessing this mechanic has you glancing over your left shoulder as the BR approaches first and makes his turn to pick up the touch at 1B, and you would then switch your glance to over your right shoulder as you move across the working area?

I can definitely see how this will help me get to a spot where I'm accustomed to being to take the runner into 3B.

Thanks, Tee.

Tim.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I'm guessing this mechanic has you glancing over your left shoulder as the BR approaches first and makes his turn to pick up the touch at 1B, and you would then switch your glance to over your right shoulder as you move across the working area?
Correct. But you still need to see him long enough to watch for obs by F3.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct. But you still need to see him long enough to watch for obs by F3.
Okay, makes sense. Don't make the switch to looking over the right shoulder until the BR clears F3. I'm anxious to get on a field and give this a try.

Tim.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Tim, along with Tim C's suggestion of the AAA glance, once you are "in" and you have to head to 3rd, angle toward an imaginary 45' line on the 3rd base side. If the runner commits to 3rd, you'll be in the proper angle. To make it look closer, make the call and take a step toward the play. This gives the perception of being closer than you actually are.

This is also the way I work from C since I can't beat them anymore to 3rd.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:25pm

Quote:
I hate to admit this, but the truth is that time is catching up with me and I'm not as quick on the bases as I once was. When working two man with no one on base, I'm not getting to where I feel I need to be when I have to take a runner into 3rd base. With a ball hit to deep right, I used to be able to get inside and pivot quickly enough to pick up the ball, see the runner touch first, and slide with the runner to a spot close to the cut out at third to set to make the call. I could get the right angle and not ever get straightlined.

Now, I'm not getting deep enough and have set myself up to get straightlined a number of times. I need some advice as to what is the best spot to strive to get to when you know you're no longer able to get to where you've been accustomed to getting. I don't know if making a shallower pivot is the answer, or making the same pivot and adjusting my line toward the third base line is the way to go. I know I'm not the only one here that has had to make adjustments like this over time.

Tim.
Hey there good friend, long time no hear!

Just what T and everyone else said.

In our preseason clinic this year, we were taking turns on the bases in a scrimmage game. I was hanging around the first base coaches box with 3 other umps waiting to take my turn, BSing with them and cutting up, and generally not paying attention. Suddenly it was my turn to go. So I jump on the line and the first pitch is a gapper. Since I had not been paying close attention, I did not realize that the batter who hit the ball was the leadoff hitter, and was he ever quick! As I was running in to make my pretty little pirouette pivot, I realize I was screwed, as the BR was rounding the base before I was ready to pivot. I rushed my pivot, then tried to catch up. My back went out on me and I nearly fell, to everyone's amusement, and I managed to see the play from the a$$-end of the runner as he slid in. Then I proceeded to kick the call on top of that by banging him out, only to be told by everybody there that he was quite safe in reality.

Since then, I only pivot when the runner is s-l-o-w. Otherwise I do the AAA glance and right turn.

PM me if you ever get the chance, buddy.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all for the great advice. I know I haven't been around the forum for quite some time, but I knew you'd come up with a solution for me if I came back and asked.

Tim.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
To make it look closer, make the call and take a step toward the play. This gives the perception of being closer than you actually are.
This is a good tip for any play. Those two extra steps makes you look a lot closer than you actually were.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 02:46pm
Administrator

Quote:

Tim.

Carl "Papa C" Childress, Editor-in-Chief of Officiating.com believes in umpiring mechanics of the 21st Century. You might want to experiment is starting in the B position even with no one on 1B.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio